Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-27-2008, 10:58 PM   #1
New owner, older house

Share |

using plastic plus insulation to insulate an interior wall

We are in the process of enclosing a small room--it backs up to another room. It previously had paneling inside and the other room has sheetrock. We want to "soundproof" the room a little more and someone told us to insulate all the walls and add a plastic barrier before we finish the sheetrock in the room.

Is there any problems with moisture building up in the plastic?

thanks

Taz38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 11:56 PM   #2

Plastic is a bad idea in my opinion. It doesn't breathe like a proper vapor barrier does. If you're using kraft-faced insulation I'd call it good.

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 05:46 AM   #3
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

There is no reason for installing a plastic barrier in an interior wall, as you describe the layouts of the room.
Such a plastic layer, accomplishes absolutely nothing.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 06:43 AM   #4
New owner, older house

Thank you--that is what I was thinking, but needed confirmation
Old 12-28-2008, 06:48 AM   #5
New owner, older house

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekctermite View Post
Plastic is a bad idea in my opinion. It doesn't breathe like a proper vapor barrier does. If you're using kraft-faced insulation I'd call it good.

not sure what kraft faced insulation is, but we're using R-13 (says rated for walls and basements). It's pink and has one side that has brown paper. So one side of the insulation is going to be touching the sheetrock--will this present any problems for the wall that is touching the insulation?

ETA: Nevermind I googled "kraft-faced" and it appears we're good!!

Last edited by Taz38; 12-28-2008 at 06:53 AM.
Old 12-28-2008, 07:05 AM   #6
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

I don't know if you are aware of a sound deadening type of insulation that's available/ it works better then regular insulation. BOB
buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 08:08 AM   #7

insulation in a wall will help reduce sound transmission, but it is limited! Noise will still travel by way of the wall studs. If space will allow, I would recommend building another wall against the existing one. Only, off-set the new wall studs from those of the old wall. Then, add insulation. I did this between a bath room and a bedroom, I found this to be effective. Also, use 5/8" drywall, rather than 1/2" to further reduce the noise!
Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 11:36 AM   #8
Drywall contractor

Sound attenuation blankets (or "rock wool") is specifically used for sound deadening purposes. It would be the best material, though as pointed out it will not "sound proof" the wall. Wildie's method with the double wall will be the most effective method used with sound blankets. The insulation is available at a drywall supply yard. It is more costly than regular fiberglass and itches MUCH worse. If you decide to go with it, be sure to wear appropriate clothing (maybe disposable coveralls), safety glasses, and a mask. This may be more than you're looking for, but the R13 won't help matters much..... just muffles the sound.
Old 12-29-2008, 07:44 AM   #9
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Agreed, a plastic (or any other) vapor retarder is useless on an interior wall. The newer polyester batt insulation is supposed to have good sound attenuation qualities. Much better than fiberglass. If you can find it, I'd use that and forego the itchy stuff.

Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote