Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-14-2007, 06:18 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Using OSB on inside walls

I'm using OSB on the inside walls of my cabin, and I've turned the slick side toward the insulation. I plan to paint the kitchen and bathroom walls because of the moisture and I would like to leave the rest of the walls natural. Do I need to use some type of a sealer over the OSB to keep it from pealing? Do I need to use a primer before I paint the other walls?

handymanII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 10:50 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by handymanII View Post
I'm using OSB on the inside walls of my cabin, and I've turned the slick side toward the insulation. I plan to paint the kitchen and bathroom walls because of the moisture and I would like to leave the rest of the walls natural. Do I need to use some type of a sealer over the OSB to keep it from pealing? Do I need to use a primer before I paint the other walls?
I would definatly use a sealer just for cleaning ease and yes use a good quality oil based primer.

Darylh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 05:38 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darylh View Post
I would definatly use a sealer just for cleaning ease and yes use a good quality oil based primer.
What type sealer should I use? Can you use an oil based primer with an interior paint? Latex paint?
handymanII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 06:50 PM   #4
Extreme DIY'r Adk's, NY

I just did this in my shop. I calculated coverage using smooth and multiplied by 1.3 which gave me 8 gallons. I used 5 gallons of latex primer one heavy coat with a good quality medium roller, and I used 4 gallons of latex paint, again basically one coat. So I used slightly more then my guesstimate but I have a gallon left because I bought 5 gal. pails. It was about 2500 sq ft, I primed it one day and painted it the next by myself moving vehicles and engines and such because of course you cant ever finish a garage before it is full ! ARRGH

Type of screw, screw set height and tight edges are the key to it looking ok.
crecore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 10:11 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by handymanII View Post
What type sealer should I use? Can you use an oil based primer with an interior paint? Latex paint?
I would use Kilz original myself and as for a sealer my choice would be a coat of urethane or varethane mat finish.
Darylh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 01:31 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darylh View Post
I would use Kilz original myself and as for a sealer my choice would be a coat of urethane or varethane mat finish.
We have installed OSB for our interior walls of our remodel/add-on for our home. For a variety of reasons, we are not going to sheetrock our walls but are intrigued with the idea of plaster OR interior stucco...for a "tuscan" look.
I have plenty of scrap to practice with and was wondering what primer should be used for interior stucco? What about for plaster? Would you recommend one over the other...stucco vs. plaster? The interior stucco I'm thinking about using is water based.

I had great success with paperbag walls above the chair-rail with padded canvas below in a bedroom. But want to do something different for the other areas of the home and want it to last...no horror stories of plaster or stucco falling off of the walls. I am also not opposed to the idea of making my own homemade finishes. Any recipes handy?

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide. Cyberspace is very limited on advice regarding OSB interior wall finishes!
buildinourown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 09:40 PM   #7

OSB panels would not be my choice for the interior walls. Notice the edge panel swelling from any high humidity inside unless controlled, the “creep” factor and other problems:
http://www.gp.com/build/PageViewer.a...elementid=6132

http://performancepanels.com/index.c...pp_pp_atr_perm

http://www.apawood.org/pdfs/managed/...TOKEN=27731641

http://www.eima.com/pdfs/The%20Perfe...r%20Stucco.pdf

Be safe, Gary
Old 03-23-2010, 11:27 AM   #8

If time allows, you might want to look at the "Tobias Stucco" website; it has a pic showing successful use of interior stucco on an OSB interior wall. See their gallery #4; An interior design company HQ in California used this stucco for bedroom walls.

I paper-bagged a few walls in a bedroom with padded canvas below the chair-rail; the rest of the room will be cedar...already has cedar post and beam (just gorgeous...thanks to my hubby!). We've had no problems with the glued on contractor's paper...looks like leather.
buildinourown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 08:24 PM   #9

I saw extensive use of OSB panels for exposed interior walls in a restaurant in Portland, OR. The surface was sanded smooth and finished with a clear matte or very low gloss clear varnish, probably a urethane but that's a guess. I would use a sealer first like any other sanded wood surface.
The appearance is very much personal opinion but I liked it a lot and think it would be very suitable for a cabin.
John aka JayKay

JayKay is offline   Reply With Quote