Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-28-2010, 05:26 PM   #1

Share |

Using Foam Insulating Sheathing over Studs

Hi!

We're building our first house and things look good so far, but I have a question. I couldn't find many 'good' things about this, but I somehow get the feeling that most of the info I found was from old school builders...or people who believe you need to over-engineer to make things well.

My question is....in this day and age, should I be concerned about the use of the foam sheathing for exterior walls? We're building outside of Chicago. The house on the 1st floor is all brick, and the 2nd floor is siding. The 1st floor is all 2x4, then OSB, then 1/2" (i think) foamboard, then house wrap. The second floor, for the most part, is the same as the 1st on the corners, but then just foamboard with the house wrap, then the siding. When I saw this, I was a little taken back, but I'm not a builder so I don't know if I should be concerned.

In the future....if I wanted to add hardiboard or cementboard instead of vinyl siding, would the foam be able to handle the load, or would you have to take the foam off, then add plywood, foam, and wrap? I'm getting BIB insulation, if I took it off, would I have to re-blow the insulation, as it would be blowing all over the place if you take the foam off?

I'm sure it's OK because so far, I'm happy with the construction of the house. But it would be good to get a few second opinions. I don't know what COULD be done at this point....but I think I would have rather paid an extra 500 bucks or so for OSB.

Here are some pictures, for your viewing pleasure...

Thanks in advance...

wiz561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 05:34 PM   #2

i see diagonal bracingstructurally its fine,any cladding must be fastened to the studs

pics don't have to be actual size

Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 06:55 PM   #3

I'm sorry about not resizing the pics. I usually don't post pics, but sometimes a picture can tell a thousand words. I have to learn how to use imgur better.

Structurally, is it just as strong as osb, if it's 1" foamboard? Or, if there's a tornado, run for the basement or risk having a 2x4 lodged in my leg?

Thanks for the response and reassuring that it's safe and sound. As I always say, I'm so grateful to have a forum like this where people can help. You're responses mean a lot.

Thanks!
wiz561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 07:21 PM   #4

no structurally is not as ''strong as osb'' but the way its framed,it dosen't have to be....have no fear

and thanks for the nice words
Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 09:53 PM   #5

Rest easy. Your house is built and engineered with structural corners: “Plywood or osb corners provide better lateral support. You can brace foam-sheathed homes with plywood or osb corners. Half-inch thick sheets can be installed vertically at the corners and overlaid with half-inch thick rigid foam. One-inch thick foam can be used to sheath the remainder of the house, leaving the exterior wall surface flush. Each corner panel will resist an ultimate load of 3,120 pounds when nailed with 8d nails, spaced 6-inches at the edges and 12-inches in the field of the panel. So a wall (2 ends) will resist 6,240 pounds.”
From: http://bct.eco.umass.edu/index.php/p...n-the-outside/

Gary

Tags
foam, sheathing