Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-06-2011, 12:52 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Using Composite/Synthetic Decking

I'm contemplating using synthetic decking for my 16'x12 screen porch floor when I build this spring. I've seen both flat and grooved sided boards as well as different lengths.

I am wondering what my best options would be. Should I use 16' boards or simply use shorter ones with less chance of having to deal with curved or twisted boards? I am also wondering if the grooved boards are a better product to avoid visible screw heads?

I'm looking for opinions.

Thanks ... Eric

Packer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 08:00 PM   #2
Disabled wood vet

Rewards Points: 1,000

Synthetic decking doesn't bend or twist. When installing screws, use a straight edge or snap chalk lines (blue chalk only. Red is permanent) as screws will be very visible no matter what style decking you go with.

titanoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 08:30 PM   #3

Thanks for the input.
Old 12-06-2011, 08:37 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by titanoman
Synthetic decking doesn't bend or twist. When installing screws, use a straight edge or snap chalk lines (blue chalk only. Red is permanent) as screws will be very visible no matter what style decking you go with.
With a few of the different brands of synthetic decking you do get the benefit of not having any screws showing. I would recommend if your going to spend a little extra on synthetic decking get a brand that has the hidden screws.
AirdrieHandyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 03:36 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirdrieHandyman

With a few of the different brands of synthetic decking you do get the benefit of not having any screws showing. I would recommend if your going to spend a little extra on synthetic decking get a brand that has the hidden screws.
I'm leaning towards the hidden screw option. A buddy of mine installed them on both his front porch and back deck; it provides a really nice finish.

Thanks for the reply.

...Eric
Old 12-07-2011, 10:08 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 500

I think we are missing the most critical information... What brand were you considering? Be sure to research the heck out of it because there a LOT of junk materials out there.
robertcdf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 02:02 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertcdf
I think we are missing the most critical information... What brand were you considering? Be sure to research the heck out of it because there a LOT of junk materials out there.
Sorry about the lack of details, I'm not quite there yet. I just received some plans that I ordered to meet out town permit requirement. I plan to build once in the spring once the frost is out. The only decking that I've looked at is Trex and I haven't decided on finish or thickness as of yet.

...Eric
Old 12-09-2011, 12:31 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packer View Post
Sorry about the lack of details, I'm not quite there yet. I just received some plans that I ordered to meet out town permit requirement. I plan to build once in the spring once the frost is out. The only decking that I've looked at is Trex and I haven't decided on finish or thickness as of yet.

...Eric
Do a quick search here... you might change your mind... Whatever you think you want just google it up with "Lawsuit" included and then choose from there.
robertcdf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 08:03 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertcdf

Do a quick search here... you might change your mind... Whatever you think you want just google it up with "Lawsuit" included and then choose from there.
Thanks for the tip.
Old 12-09-2011, 08:46 AM   #10

Wow, I just checked out the composite decking issues might want to rethink this!