Using Cellulose Insulation, Right Application? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-25-2008, 10:20 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Using Cellulose Insulation, right application?

Hi All,
I have an uninsulated area in my house about heated room and beside a knee wall (2nd floor). There is subflooring in this storage area. Would this the correct application for blown in cellulose insulation? The ceiling below has drywall. The storage area is unheated.

Any issues with moisture that I should be concerned about? It is dry otherwise.

Thanks.

Advertisement

fishmanflats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 10:34 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Not following you here. Are you insulating a floor/ceiling?

If so, batts would be easier to install. Cellulose is a possibility though.

Advertisement

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 10:44 PM   #3
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekctermite View Post
Not following you here. Are you insulating a floor/ceiling?

If so, batts would be easier to install. Cellulose is a possibility though.
I think the op is talking about insulating a storage area above a heated area with knee walls. i filled in some missing words and this is what i came up with,An ATTIC. If so ! I would go along with your suggestion, it would be easier.
buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 09:19 AM   #4

Sorry to be confusing and not to the point. Yes, I guess it could be considered an attic area, it resides along side a living area (side attic?) See the attached link for a picture

http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:...3_kneeWall.gif

There is a door for access to this area and there is flooring. Instead of removing the flooring, I thought it might be easier to blow in cellulose. The flooring is laid diagonally and continues to the living area.

thanks

Last edited by fishmanflats; 08-26-2008 at 09:21 AM.
Old 08-26-2008, 09:41 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,000

Thanks for clarifying! Yes, cellulose would work great in the horizontal part, and you can batt the wall if that isn't done. Be sure not to plug up any soffit vents with cellulose.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 09:11 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 75

I have a couple of storage areas exactly like this that i recently insulated. Here is what you have to do. First make sure you either have open or closed soffits. If they are open you have to keep the channel open up the slope using the styrofoam baffles. Next for a storage area you must insulate AND THEN cover the sloping rafters with an air barrier like half inch foamboard nailed to them with all seams taped or sprayfoamed. You can also do the floor but its not entirely necc but in mine i blew cellulose under the floorboards . The actual kneewall can be left uninsulated for a storage area but the point where it meets the slope must be airsealed. Cut the foamboards so that they extend all the way up the slope to the kneewall and spray foam right along the junction of the kneewall and the slope. The reason you do all this is cause regular batts in the rafters wont stop the cold air from flowing thru it but the foamboard will.
jaw22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 08:37 AM   #7

I plan on getting to this work over the long weekend.

The area of the house has been usually cool in the winter, both on the first floor and the second. The house was built in '52. I have tried to insulate the attic as much as possible, but i noticed there no insulation in the area.

One difference is that I have closed soffits. Should I treat this differently?
Old 08-27-2008, 09:32 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishmanflats View Post
One difference is that I have closed soffits. Should I treat this differently?
Then you are fine you just dont need to staple up the baffles. Do everything else as stated. The only other thing I forgot to mention was to also spray foam all along where the sloping roof line meets the floor of the storage area. For my air barrier i used the blue foamboard half inch i think and then covered it up with thin plywood after nailing it and taping seams and doing my foam where needed.

Advertisement

jaw22 is offline   Reply With Quote