Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-17-2011, 11:16 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Using Bathroom Exhaust During Demo

I am planning to start demolition on my bathroom. I currently do not have an exhaust fan installed in the bathroom, and I am obviously planning on installing one during the remodel. However, it's extremely cold out and and I want to try to avoid opening the window if I can.

I was thinking about installing the new exhaust fan first so that I could use it to get negative pressure in the bathroom during my renovation. However, I am hesitant about purposely allowing all of that construction dust to go through my new exhaust fan.

Would this be a bad idea? If so, any other ideas for getting the dust out without keeping a window open to the below freezing weather?

And no, I can't wait until spring

DetroitEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 11:38 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Yes, it would be a bad idea to take a new product and use it to exhaust demo dust and grit.
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 11:45 AM   #3
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,342

Box fan with a Cheap Blue filter attached to it, using the fan to exhaust the dust out of the space. You really won't get that cold during demo, since you will be burning some calories. Personally, I would wait until Spring to do it, then doing it during the dead of Winter. Now, if it is just Gypsum wallboard, and not plaster, you can cut the board in sections and just pull off the wall, which means less dust.

I got the pleasure of tearing our bathroom to the bones last March/early April last year, and had to deal with Rocklathe. Fan was pretty dusty after we got done with it. We ran our exhaust during the whole demo, and it still operates fine, but had the window opened for part with a fan in it, until the window got torn out and is no longer there.
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 12:06 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
Yes, it would be a bad idea to take a new product and use it to exhaust demo dust and grit.
Ron
Lol yeah I figured....but I just wanted to verify.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
Box fan with a Cheap Blue filter attached to it, using the fan to exhaust the dust out of the space. You really won't get that cold during demo, since you will be burning some calories. Personally, I would wait until Spring to do it, then doing it during the dead of Winter. Now, if it is just Gypsum wallboard, and not plaster, you can cut the board in sections and just pull off the wall, which means less dust.

I got the pleasure of tearing our bathroom to the bones last March/early April last year, and had to deal with Rocklathe. Fan was pretty dusty after we got done with it. We ran our exhaust during the whole demo, and it still operates fine, but had the window opened for part with a fan in it, until the window got torn out and is no longer there.
Good idea, thanks. My walls are from 1955...they are two layers of 3/8" solid gypsum with a plaster finish, so I'm expecting quite a bit of dust. Good point about not being that cold too...I'm sure I'll be working up a sweat.
Old 01-17-2011, 01:07 PM   #5
Retired from the grind

Ah good old Rock lathe. Actually it would be one layer, then a Portland Cement layer. Nothing you can do with it, other than swing a hammer. Watch out for old razor blades. My Ceiling stayed, we just went over the valleys with a skim coat of mud and you can not even tell that it was the old ceiling. When you do the wall by the window, since the new layer of Green board or if you are going tile surround with Durock, you may have to use 1x4s laid across the studs to bring the new 1/2" board even with the case moulding.
Old 01-17-2011, 01:17 PM   #6

Before you demo this room, check adjoining rooms for gaps in moldings and any other places dust can get out of the room. A slight gap in a molding along with the temperature differencial can cause extensive dust migration. Especially if the bath is next to a staircase.
Ron
Old 01-17-2011, 01:40 PM   #7
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
Before you demo this room, check adjoining rooms for gaps in moldings and any other places dust can get out of the room. A slight gap in a molding along with the temperature differencial can cause extensive dust migration. Especially if the bath is next to a staircase.
Ron
Nothing you can do to stop the dust. We had our Bath doorway covered with Visquine, and the dust still got all over the place. Same when we took a wall down between our Kitchen & Dining to open it up. All you can do, is wipe everything down, and for wood floors, use Soapy Ammonia to cut through through the dirt and such. We did both at a time that we could have the Furnace shut off to keep dust from being pulled through out the house, is why I suggested to the OP to possibly wait until Spring.
Old 01-17-2011, 02:01 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
Nothing you can do to stop the dust. We had our Bath doorway covered with Visquine, and the dust still got all over the place. Same when we took a wall down between our Kitchen & Dining to open it up. All you can do, is wipe everything down, and for wood floors, use Soapy Ammonia to cut through through the dirt and such. We did both at a time that we could have the Furnace shut off to keep dust from being pulled through out the house, is why I suggested to the OP to possibly wait until Spring.
Many jobs I do, start with a demo crew coming in to take out kitchens, baths, walls and floors. The areas get sealed, floor to ceiling, all the way out the door. Controlling the dust is a major part of the job. If I don't make sure the rest of the house is dust free during the process, I'm not doing the job correctly.
DIY homeowners are generally not as cognizant of the issue until after the fact. Sometimes they won't even go to the trouble to deal with the time it takes to prep the area.
That isn't my concern.
All I'm saying, is that it's better to prep the area before hand then cleanup after. And it's not that hard to keep the area dust free outside of the work area.
Ron
Old 01-17-2011, 02:09 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 1,000

Reminds me of the time that I decided to strip the plaster and lath off the kitchen walls once.
My wife had gone out for the day, so it seemed like a good time to do this!
The was no door to the living room so I taped a sheet of plastic over the opening, only it wasn't quite long enough to reach down to the floor. Maybe an inch or so, short.
I was working away, when I heard a scream from the front of the house. My wife had returned and was greeted by a total white out or everything in the living room.
I hadn't considered that the forced air heating system would drag all the dust under the door opening and deposit it on the other side.
Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 03:17 PM   #10

Thanks for all the advice guys. I'll be doing all I can to control that dust.

I'll be doing a Kerdi system around the shower, so it'll just be going over plain ol' drywall. Schluter actually recommends Kerdi over regular drywall as opposed to Green board...something to do with the coating that green board has on it. I'll keep the 1x4s idea in mind if I see that the new alignment will be an issue...thanks gregzoll.

I read in a tile forum that many guys don't even use Green board anymore, and that there is really not much advantage compared to regular drywall with primer and two coats of paint.
Old 01-17-2011, 03:32 PM   #11
Retired from the grind

For our floor, I used Georgia Pacific's DensShield. Was a whole lot easier to work with, than Durock.