Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-07-2012, 01:57 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Using 10" block for brick ledge

I'm building a block porch foundation in well drained soil. It will be about 4 courses. I want to add brick to the front exposed part of the foundation wall just under the slab. I have plenty of 8" block left over from a previous project. Instead of buying two courses of 10" block, I was wondering if I could do one course of 8", a course of 10" to use as the brick ledge, and then the remaining two courses in 8"?
All courses would be bonded and rebarred. I can't think of any reason this wouldn't work unless it would be more likely to crack. Anyone ever try this?

Randy

Rleeshfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 05:49 PM   #2

2 inches isn't much of a brick shelf.

jmagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 06:20 PM   #3
A "Handy Husband"

Rewards Points: 2,140

A block brick ledge uses 12" block for the base and 8" block where the brick is placed. If you have lots of 8" set them on the long side so you have a 16" wide lower section. Then set the 8" normally above that.
The Following User Says Thank You to rjniles For This Useful Post:
Rleeshfr (08-08-2012)
Old 08-08-2012, 10:37 AM   #4

I know 2" wasn't much for brick, but thought I might be okay. 2 of the 4 courses probably won't see the light of day, only the top 2 courses would be exposed. Those two would be tied at the top. So, ground force would keep the bottom courses tight to the block. That was my thought anyway.

I like the idea of going crossways with the 8" block. I'm thinking 1st course normal, 2nd course crossways, course 3 and 4 normal. It will be better balanced that way. I don't have to buy any more block and use up some of the extra damaged block I have laying around.
Old 08-08-2012, 11:45 AM   #5
Architect

Rewards Points: 150

Depending on the way the under side of the porch is conditioned, you may end up with condensation issues between brick and block.

Instead, I would advise using a thin-brick or stone surface applied treatment to achieve the same look with an easier installation.
jcarlilesiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 12:51 AM   #6

Is your thought that the brick would decompose due to the moisture or that the freeze/thaw cycle would cause cracking?
The under side of the porch is mostly sand with a stone base for the concrete slab. Backfill to the front is mostly sand too with about an inch of top soil. It is well drained.

I'm really trying not to buy anything additional since budget is really tight.
I have the block and the brick already. I do have to match this on an existing porch after this project is complete. I may try your approach there.

Randy