Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-21-2008, 09:37 PM   #1

Share |
Question

Use Tyvek home wrap on new shop?

Hello everyone, new member checking in! Lots of good info here. I'm having a new shop/garage building put up and I'm researching all my options. It's a 40x60 garage building, metal sides and roof, with insulation and drywall on the interior (10 foot walls). I have some bids from different contractors to build this new shop building. One guy said it needs Tyvek house wrap, another one said it wasn't needed on a metal building. I want a good building but I need to save money... this is already costing me a fortune. So, do I really need it?

MaxRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 10:21 PM   #2
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

I agree Not on a metal building. Unless the metal siding is being installed over plywood wall. I'm assuming your building the panels a screwed over horizontal furring?.

buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 10:31 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply, buletbob. I'm not sure what you mean by horizontal furring but I should have described my building a little better. It's a stud wall built with 2x4 boards, with the metal siding screwed on to it. No plywood. From the inside of the building the layers will be drywall, R-11 insulation between the 2x4s covered by a vapor barrier, then the metal outside. So if the buliding was complete and you removed a panel of metal on the outside, you'd see the insulation between the 2x4s. That's the way I understand it anyway!
MaxRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 07:22 AM   #4
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

Now that you mentioned 2x4 wall construction, For the added $300.00 in material it will give your wall a second barrier from water intrusion if the metal fails for some reason. I originally thought all steel building, and how are they going to fasten the tyvek to steel. The choice is yours.
buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 07:41 AM   #5
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

I'm with Bob. You have wood framing and insulation in the structural wall. Use the Tyvek for the reason Bob listed (second barrier from water intrusion).
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote