Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-25-2008, 01:00 PM   #1

Share |
Question

Use shed kit as bathroom addition?

I have an old (1880s) house that currently has an unusable 2nd floor bathroom. The house was built with a flat-roofed single-story pantry on the gable end at the back of the house. In the 20s, someone built what amounts to a 5.5-ft x 6-ft lean-to with a center ceiling height of just under 6 feet at the peak on top of this and called it a bathroom. I'm looking for an easy and inexpensive way to expand this to a more usable 6 x 8, big enough to fit a sink, toilet and the current small-scale clawfoot tub.

Given that this is already basically a tiny cabin built onto the back roof, couldn't I just remove it, reinforce the roof to take floor joists over the area I need and then replace it with a panelized shed kit that's been insulated? It looks like this would work out about the same as getting a modular addition. (Not an option as there's no way to get a crane to the correct spot.)

Has anyone tried this? thoughts, ideas, concerns appreciated.

I can't hire a contractor as I've had two and they've taken my money and materials and run with no forwarding address. And these were people who were recommended, so I'm understandably off contractors. Now I'm trying to get work that's already paid for done so that my home is livable. I can get muscle help from friends, but I don't feel up to doing all of the framing on my own from scratch as I don't have experience.
wlfsdrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 09:41 PM   #2

How is the footing? Is there a footing?

I'm having a hard time picturing what you've got. Any way you can post some pics to illustrate this, then describe what you're wanting to add to it?
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 08:42 AM   #3

One word. Shantytown. And that is all I have to say about that.
LawnGuyLandSparky is offline   Reply With Quote