Use DOW Blue Rigid For Interior & Health Concerns? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-22-2008, 08:19 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

use DOW blue rigid for interior & health concerns?

using 1" DOW T/G against interior concrete basement wall then 2x4 stud wall & sheathing. Is there a problem/concern with using DOW blue board for interior application as I propose?

I was told that the product's MSDS contains a caution for such application but can't seem to locate same.

Advertisement

hadleyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 09:01 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by hadleyfarm View Post
...MSDS contains a caution for such application but can't seem to locate same.
It's good that you're asking, the MSDS sheets can be found here, and from what I can tell unless the temperature in the house exceeds 250 degrees, you're good to go.

Advertisement

Old 09-22-2008, 01:54 PM   #3

Can anyone recommend very good adhesive products for glueing 1" DOW blue board to interior cement basement walls.

I will glue and seam tape Blueboard and then build 2x4 stud wall.

Thanks
Old 09-22-2008, 03:22 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

Most people around here use spray foam in a can, which does a great job of securing the foam against the foundation wall. Just run a bead of foam on the studs. It seals air gaps nicely as well. "Great Stuff" is a common brand name.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 03:33 PM   #5

PL and Liquid Nails both make a foam adhesive that will work fin. Fastenal has a touch-n-seal product that yields about 10 tubes per 1 can...but you'd have to purchase a gun to apply.
Old 09-22-2008, 03:37 PM   #6

WRT to the greatstuff...it can continue to expand and push the foam board while it cures, that could cause problems. The adhesive link I just posted from touch-n-seal does not expand after application. What's nice is that you can hold the board in place, foam it....wait 30 seconds to a minute, let go and move on to the next...the foam cures hard and can be trimmed.
Old 09-22-2008, 04:35 PM   #7

RS - Is the Touch'n Seal product a sealant or adhesive - I'm using 35 sheets of 4x8 sheets of 1" thick DOW T/G blueboard. As an adhesive I would lay 4 -6 bead lines of adhesive on the back of each sheet (16'-24'/sheet). Not sure how to adhere each sheet if the product is a sealant.
Old 09-22-2008, 04:49 PM   #8

It's an adhesive...a water proof polyurethane base, looks much like gorilla glue when it foams up, but obviously when it expands, you can fill holes and seal air leaks. It's not a sealant like great stuff.

Are you planning on putting up the foam first then the stud wall? What kind of condition is the basement wall in? If it's really rough then it might be better to use something that could span the highs and lows. If the wall is pretty smooth, the foam will work fine. If you rip the foam to go between the studs, squirt the foam in the gaps and move on. Using the foam in the T&G is the cats...fill up the groove, slip the tongue in and it's a perfect seam...no need to tape.
Old 01-28-2009, 12:48 PM   #9

Rippy -

when using Fastenal's Touch-n-Seal product to glue DOW 1" 4x8 rigid sheet insulation - do the fairly smooth poured concrete foundation walls need an kind of prep i.e. wipe down with moist spoonge etc.?

I'm planning to apply 4 lines of T&S product across 4' wide board (2" from top and bottom and 2' from top and bottom and then stick and hold. I'll apply a bead along the 8' groove edge before sticking next sheet. Does this sound right?

Many thanks
HadleyFarm
Old 01-28-2009, 05:08 PM   #10

I've never prepped a surface for the Touch-n-Seal product...of course you'll want to read the can for the nitty gritty details. From using cases of the stuff though...it's so stink'n sticky that I doubt it's necessary unless your walls are dirty/dusty or flaking paint. I'd just make sure they're relatively clean and go for it. Put one up...wait a few minutes...and you'll know. It sounds like you'll have plenty of product to hold it together.
Old 01-28-2009, 10:51 PM   #11

most of the polyurethane glues are actually moisture cured a little moisture on the walls shouldn't hurt maybe just brush off any loose dirt
Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 11:11 PM   #12

I think the danger is that, in the event of a fire, the smoke spread is way beyond what is allowed for interior construction materials.
kentcasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 12:34 AM   #13

as long as its covered by sheet rock your ok .its probably no worst than paneling,carpet,or most other combustable products
Old 01-29-2009, 08:21 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 75

I just put 2 inch rigid in my basement. i have poured concrete foundation and because of unsmooth surface using glue was impossible to make solid consistent contact with the insulation. it was a nightmare. also the rigid sheets aren't always true flat. some have some bows in then so again, difficult to get flush to wall (maye 1 inche is more forgiving).

If using glue make sure its not of a product that erodes the foam! (oil based i think).

i wasnt as concerned with air gaps behind the rigid so much as i was about sealing all the rigid pieces together to make a tight seal.
windowguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 09:46 AM   #15

you could get some metal or plastic caps that roofers use to hold down foam on flat roof systems just use tap-con to secure the sheets tightly to the foundation tape or spray foam any seams or gaps.Iwould recommend a foam gun instead of the cans with the straw, hilti makes a great one

Advertisement