DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Building & Construction (
-   -   Us / Brit translation - a little help here? (

hedgewizard 06-10-2008 08:53 AM

Us / Brit translation - a little help here?
Hi folks,

I've run into a spot of bother writing a book about high tunnels (hoophouses) which will probably sell in the US too - and that's the names of some hardware products. We have a narrow perforated metal sheet that comes as a stiff roll, for cutting and nailing through if you want to strengthen a joint in a hurry - we call it "builders' band". If it's a heavier-duty galvanized flat plate, it's a "joining strip". What are the equivalent products over there in civilization?

jayp 06-10-2008 09:10 AM

Are you talking about this stuff:

Or this:

jvc120er 06-10-2008 09:19 AM

I believe the second item you have listed is a mending plate? Typically used on a roof truss.

Termite 06-10-2008 09:27 AM

What he's talking about is coil-strapping.

Simpson lists them under the product code CS and CMST. Widths vary from 1-1/4" to 3" and lengths range from 40' to 300' rolls.

hedgewizard 06-10-2008 09:51 AM

That's the stuff. Thanks very much!

hedgewizard 06-10-2008 10:07 AM

Wow! That stuff's expensive because it's only in trade packs. Any idea of something similar that comes in smaller packs? This is the Brit product;

Termite 06-10-2008 01:39 PM

The same company makes shorter straps that are basically the same thing.

How long do they need to be, and what width? I'm sure Simpson makes something, but you have a lot of choices.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:02 PM.

User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.