Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-24-2009, 08:50 AM   #1

Share |

upstairs laundry room floor - redguard?

Hi all,

I'm in the process of finishing my upstairs laundry room (about 100 sq ft). All of the plumbing came out great and I just patched the existing floor (made of OSB) with some 3/4" plywood where we had to cut to run our lines. So basically under the machines I have 3/4" ply (floor drain installed in the ply) and the rest of the room has osb subfloor. We are going to be using a Vinyl Tile on the floor (one of those heavy vinyl tiles that look like ceramic) and have it professionally installed. The installer suggested laying 1/4" ply over the existing floor before laying the tile. My question is that since this is an upstairs laundry, I was thinking of laying down a waterproofing membrane such as redguard. Redguard is easily available to me that is why I would like to use it - but where exactly would I apply the redguard? Would I apply it over the existing ply and osb, then lay the 1/4" ply then the tiles. Would I have the installers come in to apply the 1/4" ply, dash patch all the seams, then apply the redguard? Will the tile adhesive adhere to the redguard? I read through the directions but didn't see anything about vinyl tiles.

Thank you!!!

mazzonetv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 01:33 PM   #2

The washing machine should be in a laundry tray with a drain. If the drain is just in the floor, the water will flow out to the walls and leak to the floor below. You don't mention if the washer is isolated from the rest of the floor or not.
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 01:55 PM   #3

Thanks Ron,

I was going to pitch the floor to the floor drain. The other option is to screw some 1x2's or 3s to the floor around the machine (can't come up high because I have those stands for the front loaders with the drawers in front), and then use the redguard in that "box". My only concern then is God forbid I get a leak someplace else the floor drain won't catch anything... I still have the same question though, do I put the redguard on the subfloor, then 1/4" ply, then my clearset and tiles. Can I put the tile adhesive directly over the redguard??

Thanks
Old 12-24-2009, 02:07 PM   #4
Remodeling Contractor

Neither will help. Only way to do this is with the tray as mentioned. Any screws to fasten the 1/4" plywood will destroy the seal you want to create with the Redgard. And the Redgard will not work well with the floor tile. And it is better to use an EDPM membrane on a sloped floor with a sealed floor drain and then a mud job with tile for the floor. Otherwise use the pan. And keep in mind the washer on a second floor will vibrate the whole floor. I move more of these to the basement than the other way around.
Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 02:10 PM   #5

You might check the Redguard website for approved topcoats. The front loaders use a comparitively small amount of water so the possibility of flooding is significantly reduced on the drain side. If you're concerned about flooding on the supply side, look into something called the Water Cop. I put one in for a customer with a weekend house. You put sensors in areas that could flood. By the washer, hot water heater, under sinks, etc. If water hits the sensor, it sends a signal to the receiver on the main and shuts off the water. The price varies dependent on the number of sensors and accessories installed. Hers ran about $900.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 02:22 PM   #6

Or, if you are going for the floor drain with another fixture to address, like a deep sink, hopefully you sloped the plywood to the drain. Seal the baseboard (not MDF) at the floor and install a self-primer floor trap (required by code) to keep the sewer gases out: http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=...Yl3MHFecvoiheQ
Sorry, can't help on the Redguard......

Be safe, Gary
Old 12-26-2009, 09:05 AM   #7

Thank you all for your suggestions. The plumbing is done already and yes, I did put a trap primer in. I was thinking about this and this is what I came up with. Around where the washer and dryer go screw some wood down to the floor to make a box - Can't go that high because the drawers on the stands will have to open, but come up as high as I can - maybe about 1-1/2" or so. Inside that box screw some 3/8" wonder board down to the subfloor. Apply the redguard to the inside of that box and come up the wall about 6-8" with it. The question now being can I put the vinyl tile over the redguard or do I have to thinset and put ceramic in that area? Can't find anything on the Redguard site about putting anything except thinset on top...

Thank you again!

Thanks all - i'm in no time rush for this so just want to do it right.