Upgrade With Foil Faced Insulation? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-11-2009, 06:13 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 500

upgrade with Foil faced insulation?

I have about 35 ' of exterior wall in my family room coverred with panelling, not big enough to make it practical to call a contractor for spray foam, but I want to remove the inside paneling, re-insulate and drywall at some point soon without diisturbing the adjacent walls.
This wall is 2 x 4 with brick exterior so I want to take advantage of the inside access. I would like to furr it out for added insulation but have an exterior door sitting 1" off the corner of the wall at present. I think the current insulation, 35 years old is likely between R10 and R12.
Any thoughts on using foil faced insulation on the inside of the cavities or suggestions on how to tackle this one

Advertisement

Chemist1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 07:10 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

IMHO, foilfacing does not really buy you much. Batts with vapor barrier is good, R13 for 2x4 wall. Spacing the wall out(2x6) allows R19, and it is not too hard to extend the door frame. There are DIY foam kits available, but i am not sure they should be used by a casual DIY. Try if you feel comfortable with the idea.

Advertisement

Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 08:55 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,000

Rigid XPS extruded polystyrene boards and a vapour barrier would do as well, although if you have 16"oc studs this may be a pain. But you get better Rvalue without going to 2x6s...or re-stud while you're there.
“The average American woman is about 25 pounds heavier than she was in 1960...Recognizing obesity as a disease will help change the way the medical community tackles this complex issue that affects approximately 1 in 3 Americans,”
ccarlisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 06:27 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

Sorry guys maybe I wasn't clear I can't furr out because I would overlap the exterior door which also sits in a brick wall on the north side of my house. The door sits just off the north west corner . The 31 ft wall is the west wall. The existing colonial door casing sits at 90 degrees to the right and 1 " off the wall I wish to insulate.
Chemist1961 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insulation upgrade