Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-28-2011, 10:26 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Update on my deck rebuild...more questions...

As a few of you may remember, I posted a while back concerning rebuilding my existing deck and adding an extension gable over a majority of the deck itself. After some thorough discussion, drawings I posted, etc, I finally submitted the plan to our local building department, and it passed just fine, and I have since been issued the permit. Here's the catch. In our original plan that we submitted, we asked about setting the beams (they will be running perpendicular to the house) back in on the existing basement wall (notching into the ledger, and setting the beam back 1' resting on the wall. The building department said this would be fine.

A quick sidetrack as to why the beams are going to run perpendicular to the house. The problem is, we have a 15' span that we need to accommodate running over top of a basement walkout, and to accommodate a 15' beam span (if the beams were running parallel to the house), our only option would be to use an engineered beam at a cost of over $600 for our application (local quote given to us). So, to avoid that, we're sticking with 2x12s for floor joists, and running them parallel to the house into the beams that are running perpendicular to the house (this keeps beam span and joist span acceptable as per our local code).

Here's the problem. After being removing the deck and examining the existing band joist of the house, they are only 2x8s. That doesn't leave us enough room to slide 2x12 beams in onto the wall top. Not only that, but that leaves us with only the option of using a 2x8 ledger which is just not going to work for our application.

Then we got to thinking about changing the plan to a free standing deck, and placing two more existing posts down at the foundation/footer level next to the house. This is also a problem, because a drainage line tucked close to the house would prevent one of the posts from being placed.

So, now we're a bit stuck. Any suggestions?

Here's a crappy photo of one of the drawings we submitted showing the joist and beam layout. The portion labeled "block wall" is the basement that the beams were supposed to to sit on.

mgh-pa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 12:21 AM   #2
Framer

Rewards Points: 25

Gotcha, (nice drawing btw, nice to see what is actually going on lol )

So your house joists are 7 1'4 inches. The beam you want to use is 11 1'4 inches. I see the problem.

Wich way are your joist running in the house? The same way as your 2x12 beams or the same way as you deck joists?

Joey

joeyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 06:00 AM   #3
Mod

Rewards Points: 2,288

Use a top flange hanger.
Old 06-29-2011, 07:26 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyr View Post
Gotcha, (nice drawing btw, nice to see what is actually going on lol )

So your house joists are 7 1'4 inches. The beam you want to use is 11 1'4 inches. I see the problem.

Wich way are your joist running in the house? The same way as your 2x12 beams or the same way as you deck joists?

Joey
They're running the same way as the deck joists. The beams themselves would be running perpendicular to the house joists.

Quote:
Use a top flange hanger.
I've seen these on Simpson's site, but how would they apply in this situation? No matter what, if I attach the beams or the joists to the existing ledger, they will be larger than the existing ledger, which is against code.
Old 06-30-2011, 11:52 AM   #5

Ttt...
Old 06-30-2011, 08:27 PM   #6
Framer

Rewards Points: 25

Ok, so your joists run the same direction as the house joists. This means you have a double on the end. So we know now that you have a double on the exterior wall. Why can't you laminate a 2x12 ledger to the side of your double? nail and then lag bolt to it.

Sometimes your concrete foundation will be higher then the ground. If this is the case, you can hammer drill and quick bolt the ledge to the side of your house. This would be the strongest way..

Would there be any way you could get a photo of where your deck is going to be so I can see the options?

Joey
joeyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 07:30 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyr View Post
Ok, so your joists run the same direction as the house joists. This means you have a double on the end. So we know now that you have a double on the exterior wall. Why can't you laminate a 2x12 ledger to the side of your double? nail and then lag bolt to it.

Sometimes your concrete foundation will be higher then the ground. If this is the case, you can hammer drill and quick bolt the ledge to the side of your house. This would be the strongest way..

Would there be any way you could get a photo of where your deck is going to be so I can see the options?

Joey
Here's a photo of the existing deck as I was tearing it down. Ignore how poorly things are done, the previous owner messed a lot up. Anyways, if you look at the left side of the house, you can see the existing ledger. This is a 2x10 attached to the house band joist (which is only a 2x8). He has part of the 2x10 hanging down over the face of the block wall (essentially the difference in height between a 2x8 and 2x10). I don't think that's to code, which is why I'm stuck.