Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-13-2013, 02:08 PM   #1

Share |

Unusual Framing for Drop Ceiling?

I have a very small bathroom (4x10) in my basement which contains a toilet, pedestal sink, and small stall shower. The outer wall is the cinderblock foundation and below ground level. The previous owner had a suspended ceiling with metal framework and office-type ceiling tiles. Over time with a shower, the framework rusted and and tiles were stained. It was not very pretty. I gutted the room and would like to install a drywall ceiling. The major problem is that the joists above supporting the main level have pipes that hang below joist level. (See pic).

I would like to frame the room out with a dropped ceiling for drywall. The easiest thing to do would be to attach a ledger board on the concrete wall and hang 2x6s parallel to the existing joists. The span isn't that large (about 4') but I'm concerned about attaching a ledger board to a hollow concrete block wall to support all that weight on one end. I can think of 2 other options...

--Notch 2x10s or 2x12s and let most of it hang on the foundation wall. Sister new joists to existing joists and hopefully clear the pipes below.

--A third option would be to sandwich the new joists in an upside down "T" using pieces of 2x4 or 2x6 and hang from joist above. Nail or bolt the hangar boards to the joist above.

Again...I'm not supporting major loads here, just a drywall ceiling. But I don't want it cracking or coming down on someone's head!! Solution ideas welcomed!!! Thanks!!!!

--Jeff
Attached Thumbnails
Unusual Framing for Drop Ceiling?-photo.jpg  

Last edited by jeffb99; 03-13-2013 at 02:10 PM.
jeffb99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 03:06 PM   #2
Always learning...

I don't have experience with hollow concrete blocks so I can't say for sure if mounting a ledger board on them would be a good/bad idea. I would tend to think that it wouldn't be that big of a deal with the small load you're talking about, but it's probably overkill in my opinion. I think your other ideas would work but if it were me this it what I'd do.

I'm guessing those water pipes don't stick below the joist more than an inch or so? If that's the case I'd just lay some 2x4's on the flat perpendicular against the joists. (see pic below) Sink a couple 3 or 4" screws through them into the joists and it should hold plenty. I think that's less work than your other ideas, but if you're like me, you'll end up doing whatever you like the most.

Which ever you decide on, good luck.

fetzer85 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fetzer85 For This Useful Post:
jeffb99 (03-22-2013)
Old 03-22-2013, 07:47 PM   #3

I didn't think this approach would work but I doubled up on 2x3s and screwed them into each joist...running in the same direction. The 2nd 2x3 was needed to clear the thick black pipe (a gas line). I boxed around the shower drains.

Pix of same corner attached.

Problem solved. Thanks!!!!!!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Unusual Framing for Drop Ceiling?-photo.jpg  
jeffb99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:24 PM   #4
Always learning...

Looks good. Nice job w/ the plate over the piping.
Old 03-23-2013, 07:53 AM   #5
Lord of Slums

you got that done fast
mj12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 08:08 AM   #6

What are you going to do if a pipe starts leaking and needs to be fixed/replaced? Hard to do that with drywall installed.
Jason34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 10:31 AM   #7
Always learning...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason34 View Post
What are you going to do if a pipe starts leaking and needs to be fixed/replaced? Hard to do that with drywall installed.
Uhh...you could say that about any house. Pipe leaks, tear apart the wall, fix pipe, fix wall.
Old 03-23-2013, 10:46 AM   #8

I have not been in a basement yet thats had drywall ceilings. You can get ceiling tiles that dont stain at all.
Jason34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 02:41 PM   #9
Always learning...

All I'm saying is its not that big of a deal. Lots of multi story houses have pipes above drywall ceilings. I'm the type that would never even finish their basement so I'm not sure why I'm even chiming in. I will agree that most finished basements I've been in have some kind of removable ceiling tiles.