Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-01-2011, 12:54 AM   #1

Share |

Unpermitted work and refinance

Hello, I live in Washigton DC and mistakenly thought that I didn't need a permit if I remodeled the house on my own (as opposed to hiring a professional). I split one bathroom into two and followed code to the T. Our appraisal value went way up, but the bank is now denying the refinance because the work was unpermitted. After doing some internet searching, it seems I've made a stupid mistake in not getting a permit, because it could effect homeowners insurance, selling the property down the road, etc.. What should I do?

1) Find another bank and not worry about it?
2) Try to retroactively obtain a permit for the work that was already done? Is this even possible?
ravanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 01:48 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravanut View Post
Hello, I live in Washigton DC and mistakenly thought that I didn't need a permit if I remodeled the house on my own (as opposed to hiring a professional). I split one bathroom into two and followed code to the T. Our appraisal value went way up, but the bank is now denying the refinance because the work was unpermitted. After doing some internet searching, it seems I've made a stupid mistake in not getting a permit, because it could effect homeowners insurance, selling the property down the road, etc.. What should I do?

1) Find another bank and not worry about it?
2) Try to retroactively obtain a permit for the work that was already done? Is this even possible?

Talk to your building department - you are far from the first to be in this situation.
Old 07-01-2011, 02:20 AM   #3
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Definitely talk with the building department but be prepared to tear some work apart. And send really nice thank you notes to those who counseled you you did not need building permits. And come on, part of you knew all along you might?

Unlikely any bank is going to loan against unpermitted and uninspected renovation work.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 02:50 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
Definitely talk with the building department but be prepared to tear some work apart. And send really nice thank you notes to those who counseled you you did not need building permits. And come on, part of you knew all along you might?

Unlikely any bank is going to loan against unpermitted and uninspected renovation work.
I'm in a similar situation right now, bank says not permitted, local town says no permit needed for what I did... even the building inspector said you don't need a permit, yet I still drug him out to check stuff... bank though says where was the permit ugh
BlueBSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 03:40 PM   #5
Tileguy

Quote:
I'm in a similar situation right now, bank says not permitted, local town says no permit needed for what I did... even the building inspector said you don't need a permit, yet I still drug him out to check stuff... bank though says where was the permit ugh
Simple solution: Have the inspector write a letter to the bank.
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 03:43 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Cline View Post
Simple solution: Have the inspector write a letter to the bank.
Tried that already, bank wouldn't accept it... said have to have a notice from the township about not needing a permit for remodel work and they are dragging their feet (the township)
BlueBSH is offline   Reply With Quote