Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-23-2014, 09:21 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

unfinshed basement need help

I have a unfinished basement that has a 4 foot knee wall on top of the foundation and would like to know how to start adding walls. The house is a 28x54 feet and only 1 solid high concrete wall on 1 end of the house. In MA. the bottom has to be PT 2x4 and I think where the knee wall sits on the foundation will also would be PT .
As you can see from the Pic the ceiling is very high do to a screw up that cost me more than needed . I've been looking at u-tube for info , but would like other web pages or a good book to read would help in the pic my son stands 5 feet tall and the windows are just above ground . I will go with drop ceiling where pipes are located and dry wall the rest I have a drywall jack already to help me that I own.
Attached Thumbnails
unfinshed basement need help-100_1401.jpg  

bote110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 09:30 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,092

The first thing I would do is pull back the insulation from the rim joists and check to see if they're sealed properly. Fiberglass batts alone will allow air to filter through from outside.

There are a lot of threads in the 'Insulation' forum that discuss how to do this, if it hasn't already been done in your basement.

gma2rjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 09:47 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,008

Step 1: learn how to do framing
hammerlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 10:08 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,060

Been there, done that. If I were you, I'd frame straight from floor to ceiling, hiding the knee wall. Having that ledge show all the way around the finished room just screams "this is a basement."
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 11:54 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by md2lgyk View Post
Been there, done that. If I were you, I'd frame straight from floor to ceiling, hiding the knee wall. Having that ledge show all the way around the finished room just screams "this is a basement."
Wouldn't that mean adding more insulation to the top half {knee wall} and expanding the window sill out more? Yes I got to learn how to do framing , I do have a good framing gun I pick up used already.

gma2rjc how would I seal with ? Great Stuff Insulating Foam Sealant and go around the edges ?
Old 02-24-2014, 07:30 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bote110 View Post
gma2rjc how would I seal with ? Great Stuff Insulating Foam Sealant and go around the edges ?
That's what I used. There are several threads in the Insulation forum that would be good to read. Here is a good one to start with -

Rim Joist Insulation Best Option

Old 02-24-2014, 08:06 AM   #7

Quote:
Wouldn't that mean adding more insulation to the top half {knee wall} and expanding the window sill out more? Yes I got to learn how to do framing , I do have a good framing gun I pick up used already.

Yes, you'd have to trim out the window more. That isn't difficult. More insulation wouldn't be necessary, but probably wouldn't hurt considering where you live.

Some free advice (and worth every penny): As an admitted beginner, DO NOT start framing right away with a pneumatic nailer! All nailers require caution, but a framer is especially dangerous because of its large size and the size of the nails. Even with a finish nailer, I've had a nails do a U-turn and come back out. Sucks if your hand or a finger is in the way. I did all the framing in the house we built, and did every bit the old-fashioned way - 16d sinkers and a framing hammer. And I'm 65 years old.
Old 02-24-2014, 11:28 AM   #8

The rim joists is that where the rafters meet the knee wall {creating small space} in between the rafters?
md2lgyk I'm very causes when using my other pneumatic nailer's I have 18g,16,and 1.5g stapler. Always keeping my hands 5 to 10 inches away but those have a safety tab that has to touching right before it fires a nail , did not notice if the framing gun had one it's a Porter Gun ,my wife uncle used it to do our mud room . Thanks but need good book or something on framing studs .
Old 02-24-2014, 11:31 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 250

If you are putting in a game room area or bar the ledge makes a nice drink holder.
If you do frame it floor to ceiling dont forget to add fireblocking at the ceiling before you frame.
JustinK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 02:01 PM   #10

Quote:
Thanks but need good book or something on framing studs .
Any big box store (Home Depot, Lowe's, etc.) has books on the various aspects of home improvement and construction. I have one called "Ultimate Guide to House Framing." Should be all you need.

With all those nailers, I guess you're not as much a beginner as your post led me to believe. Just be sure to check out the framer to make sure somebody hasn't installed a bump trigger.

Last edited by md2lgyk; 02-24-2014 at 02:05 PM.
Old 02-24-2014, 03:33 PM   #11

If you do frame the exterior walls from floor to ceiling to avoid having the ledge, you can use the dead space for built-in book shelves or a nook to hang a big screen tv. I have one wall in my basement that would normally have the ledge showing and that's what I'm doing - building the wall straight up and using some of the space for shelves.

Any empty space that is left between the exterior wall and where the drywall will be is going to be filled with insulation. I'm using Roxul for it because it can be cut to any shape and size and is easy to work with. Plus, any bugs or spiders that make their way in will not go in it. They don't like Roxul.... mice don't either.

Old 02-24-2014, 09:14 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 2,000

Will you be getting a permit, those windows appear higher than 44" to sill...https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q...33otStRi7Aff7g

Gary
Old 02-24-2014, 11:28 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary in WA View Post
Will you be getting a permit, those windows appear higher than 44" to sill...https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q...33otStRi7Aff7g

Gary
This house has been finish a year ago with everything with all the permits
Old 02-25-2014, 08:15 AM   #14

Quote:
This house has been finish a year ago with everything with all the permits
Well, that has nothing to do with what you're planning now. I'm sure what Gary is referring to is egress requirements if you plan to put a bedroom in this basement. Even if that's not the case, you still need permits.
The Following User Says Thank You to md2lgyk For This Useful Post:
Gary in WA (02-25-2014)
Old 02-25-2014, 01:50 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 252

I am envious of your "screw up" that raised the ceiling. When we built it was not an option. A high ceiling opens up so many possibilities that my 9 foot ceilings do not allow. You could raise the floor with a couple inches of foam insulation to make it more comfortable or build a Home Theater with a two or three tier riser, maybe both... What ever it cost you, I'll bet in the future it will be worth it.

Last edited by RegeSullivan; 02-25-2014 at 01:52 PM.
RegeSullivan is offline   Reply With Quote