Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-24-2010, 09:32 AM   #1

Share |

uneven walls, what about door jam

I have a foyer wall that leans a few inches inward due to settling of my garage. I'm getting ready to drywall...

I coud easily shim the wall to make it plum... but there is a single door, and I'm concerned that the side jam will look funny with a sort of trapezoidal shape following the shimmed wall (3.5" at bottom, to maybe 5"+ at top?)

Or just leave it all alone. Perhaps nobody will ever know... but I will think of it everytime I walk into the garage. just how i am ughh.

which is the lesser of two evils? what do you do when you come across an out of level wall?

johnnyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 10:06 AM   #2
Framing Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyboy View Post
I have a foyer wall that leans a few inches inward due to settling of my garage. I'm getting ready to drywall...

I coud easily shim the wall to make it plum... but there is a single door, and I'm concerned that the side jam will look funny with a sort of trapezoidal shape following the shimmed wall (3.5" at bottom, to maybe 5"+ at top?)

Or just leave it all alone. Perhaps nobody will ever know... but I will think of it everytime I walk into the garage. just how i am ughh.

which is the lesser of two evils? what do you do when you come across an out of level wall?
You should be more concerned about the wall leaning in and fixing that problem first before you try and hide it.

Old 10-24-2010, 10:56 AM   #3

who ever said it wasn't fixed? focus on the question at hand. thanks.
johnnyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 11:35 AM   #4
Framing Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyboy View Post
who ever said it wasn't fixed? focus on the question at hand. thanks.
How is it fixed if the wall is still not plumb by almost 2"?

You either make the wall plumb by moving it in or out at top or bottom, or add new studs along side the existing studs plumb. Nail a stud at each end plumb and then string a line top and bottom and sister studs along side every stud on the wall until they hit the lines top and bottom.
Old 10-24-2010, 04:18 PM   #5

... and then re-hang the door...

Good call Joe. I have also cut long tapers to fix stuff like this. You would need to do inside and outside to 'fix' it correctly.
jlhaslip is offline   Reply With Quote