Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-17-2012, 08:18 PM   #1

Share |

Uneven floor because of basement issues

We bought a house that needed the basement walls reinforced. The house sat with rotten gutters for years and the walls had buckled in...not horribly bad but bad enough that I had to have I beams installed on two walls. As a result, the joists on one wall have sunk a bit. Above that is the basement landing where I plan on tiling. The joists have sunk about one inch and the basement doorway is out of plumb as a result. My plan is to put in a telepost (basement jack) to raise it. My question is, over what amount of time should I allow to raise this thing 1 full inch? I don't want to crack any plaster etc.

Thanks!

smawgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 10:58 PM   #2
AHH, SPANS!!!

1/8" to 1/4" at a time. Not sure how long in between though, it varies...

hand drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 09:29 PM   #3
DIY or die !

I have jacked up the center of my house, leveled it and reinforced everything. I followed the no more than 1'' a week rule. I had to go up almost 3 inches in some spots. Basicly your house willk "talk" to you as you are jacking it up. Small creaks are OK. Snap, crackles and pops mean you need to slow down.
lewisthepilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 09:37 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewisthepilgrim View Post
I have jacked up the center of my house, leveled it and reinforced everything. I followed the no more than 1'' a week rule. I had to go up almost 3 inches in some spots. Basicly your house willk "talk" to you as you are jacking it up. Small creaks are OK. Snap, crackles and pops mean you need to slow down.
Excellent info...thanks!
smawgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 10:07 PM   #5

Do you think it is the same for backing off support poles on the main Ibeam in the basement?
Jlynn024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 08:05 AM   #6
AHH, SPANS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlynn024 View Post
Do you think it is the same for backing off support poles on the main Ibeam in the basement?

During remodels we have had to re support house girders and what not and have taken out old columns and the house did not move downward 1/8". Of course we had temp columns around the old column that came out but the house did not move any. The homeowner had a hump in the middle of the house and wanted to lower it, it did not drop at all. The house is in suspended stasis with every thing locked tight together and when all of that moves downward it squeezes together more and becomes tighter. Lifting seems to push upward and outward,or to spread everything as it goes up but going back down has an implode affect until it reaches a certain point and then it would drop, but it would be like a quick buckling and not a slow drop.

For the house girder to drop the foundation walls might have to spread out some too.

Last edited by hand drive; 10-19-2012 at 08:07 AM.
hand drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 09:17 AM   #7

Thanks for your reply! So basically u pulled out the support collumns and the beam didn't drop at all? I'm just curious I have the same exact issue. My concern is I believe my house is still settling and I wanna try any avoid it getting out of control

Jlynn024 is offline   Reply With Quote