Uneven Concrete Patio - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-13-2008, 11:20 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Uneven concrete patio

I have had a new concrete patio poured and we have discovered a dip in it right in front of the garage door. I am afraid that this will cause a problem this winter when it freezes and causes a ice patch. It is very slight but water still settles there any suggestions as to a fix for this. My contractor suggested he could drill a small drain hole there or do a cut with a saw to have it drain to the side.

Advertisement

Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 03:19 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Uneven concrete patio

Drilling a hole is a bad idea. The water will go beneath your slab and will eventually erode underneath the slab. Not good.

The saw cut idea will probably have the same effect more or less. Concrete is guaranteed to crack at saw cuts, even though the cracking may be very small. All concrete cracks...This is a fact of life. That is why they cut "control joints" in slabs, sidewalks, etc. Water infiltrating that crack will eventually cause problems.

I think your contractor owes you a new slab, and that is what I'd demand.

Don't be sold on any kind of topping to fill the depression.

If you can't get a new slab, mitigating the water could be accomplished by means of an installed trench drain (or floor drain) in the slab. This would involve saw cutting out a 12"+/- section of the slab and installing a piped drain that can collect water and get it to a more desireable location in your yard. New concrete would have to be poured to encapsulate the new drain and the pipe and reinforcement would need to be drilled in to keep the repair from settling or cracking too much. Such a drain would eliminate standing water on the slab, which would otherwise be a concern in the cracks.

Advertisement

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 05:01 PM   #3

Uneven concrete patio

Wow thanks for that info I hadn't thought about the water getting under the slab here it will freeze and cause the slab to heave and then crack. I will talk it over with DH and see what he says now.
Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 06:12 PM   #4

Uneven concrete patio

I have a 22x12 foot screened-in cement patio. The metal frame on the screens goes down to the cement floor and there is no way for water to drain out. When I hose down the patio, the water puddles in the outer corners of the patio floor. Would it be feasible for someone to cut circular holes (approximately 1") in the cement floor, at the corners, slanting down to the outside, for the water to drain out?
gloria is offline   Reply With Quote