Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-26-2011, 01:08 PM   #1

Share |

Underwater Room

Hello everyone,

So I got the go ahead to build a bedroom in the garage of my parents home. The problem I am facing is that the home floods. The problem of flooding is so bad that it is only feasible to build a room that can withstand being underwater instead of trying to correct the flooding problem. I intend on tiling the floor and the walls four feet up but am unsure on what to use for the subfloor. The garage floor is concrete and is severely cracked so I intend on building a platform and building from there. So my question is what should I use for building the subfloor and what material should be between the subfloor and the concrete board? The floor will be underwater and I want to build it right the first time so I don't have to worry about swelling. Thank you all for your time and any response would be greatly appreciated.
HFerrari13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 01:20 PM   #2
A "Handy Husband"

Underwater Room

Raise the roof of the garage and build on the second floor.
Old 11-26-2011, 01:23 PM   #3

Underwater Room

Thanks for the reply but building up the attic is a little to much work for the time being.
Old 11-26-2011, 01:24 PM   #4

Underwater Room

What RJ said.

Tile four feet up? Are you trying to keep 3+ feet of water out? Ain't gonna happen. If you can't do what RJ said I would buy a boat and stick it in the garage and live in that.
Ironlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 01:27 PM   #5
Tileguy

Underwater Room

There are so many things on so many levels wrong with all of this. Is this another joke?
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 02:02 PM   #6
JOATMON

Underwater Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFerrari13 View Post
Hello everyone,

So I got the go ahead to build a bedroom in the garage of my parents home.........
In most cities that is agains code.

Guy down the street had converted his mom's garage to a bedroom....then one day code enforcement and the PoPo showed up.....he then spent the next 3 months converting the garage back to a garage....

On the plus side....it stopped all the 'foot traffic'....I'm not saying the guy was a tweaker (45 years old and living in moms garage?)...but...people walking up...knocking on the garage door ans saying "Hey, can I get a 10?" Naw....I must be sterotyping.

To the OP.....I would suggest making sure it's not against code....otherwise, the fines could be expensive....and all your work for naught.

My
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 02:11 PM   #7

Underwater Room

Buy a used submarine and park it in the garage.
Ebay and Craig's List would be a start.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 02:58 PM   #8

Underwater Room

Just to clarify I am not in any way a dealer. I am going through some hard times and was looking for some help in building a small place of my own to relax. I want to tile the room so I do not have to rip out drywall in the case of flooding. I understand I can not water proof the room, I just want to limit the damage done in case of flooding. That was the point of this thread, to get some insight on the most water resistant materials to avoid head aches further down the road. I apologize to those whose time I have wasted in my attempts to obtain some constructive advice.
Old 11-26-2011, 03:03 PM   #9
retired union carpenter

Send a message via Yahoo to coupe

Underwater Room

well, I think the best start would be to build the walls the install a pool liner, but seriously, who came up with this idea? where do you plan to sleep? keep you clothes dry? no electric, no TV, no clock or computer! are your parents Mr,& mrs, Charlie Tuna?

this must be some fantasy or illusion!

coupe
coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 03:09 PM   #10
Civil Engineer

Underwater Room

Let's ignore the code issues, they may or may not be relevant. The materials most resistant to water damage are concrete, ceramic tile, outdoor rated brick, and marine grade plywood. Pressure treated lumber will swell and may twist when exposed to water, but will likely survive. Construction lumber, OSB, and standard plywood will likely be beyond salvage. Drywall must be thrown out if it gets wet. Most carpet will not survive the experience, hardwood flooring will buckle. Steel nails will rust, stainless will survive OK. Insulation will need to be thrown out. In many jurisdictions, copper wiring needs to be replaced if it gets wet. Copper plumbing may be OK, PEX would probably be fine.

If you have warning that a flood is coming, you can remove furnishings ahead of time. As to construction materials, you are best off with a bare concrete floor, PT studs, no insulation, no framing below water line. Aluminum windows may be OK, and an aluminum door.

As others have said, this is obviously a desperate idea, but you gotta do what you gotta do.
Daniel Holzman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 03:47 PM   #11
Tileguy

Underwater Room

....and your parents homeowners insurance company says what about you nesting in the garage and making the unusual improvements there?
Old 11-26-2011, 04:19 PM   #12
Framing Contractor

Underwater Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFerrari13 View Post
Just to clarify I am not in any way a dealer. I am going through some hard times and was looking for some help in building a small place of my own to relax. I want to tile the room so I do not have to rip out drywall in the case of flooding. I understand I can not water proof the room, I just want to limit the damage done in case of flooding. That was the point of this thread, to get some insight on the most water resistant materials to avoid head aches further down the road. I apologize to those whose time I have wasted in my attempts to obtain some constructive advice.
How high does the water come? And how long does the water last?
Old 11-26-2011, 04:52 PM   #13

Underwater Room

By the time you spend all the money and time in getting the garage converted, you could have paid for 6 months of rent at an apartment.

Forget about the remodeling. Just forget about it. If you need to live in the garage, get some blankets, an elevated bed and an electric space heather (KEEP ANYTHING FLAMMABLE AWAY FROM IT) and call it a day.

To convert such a space into livable space will cost you thousands. Plus if it floods, you are dumping money down a hole, as everything will get destroyed anyway in the end.

Just move in the way it is and get some blankets.
JackOfAllTrades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 09:10 PM   #14
Tileguy

Underwater Room

Quote:
I am going through some hard times
And you have plenty of money to spend on this folly?
Old 11-26-2011, 09:56 PM   #15

Underwater Room

Unless the garage walls are concrete, you're wasting your time. Once water gets behind the wall, it needs to be exposed and dried out. There can be no wood exposed to water in this scenario.
Residential building is not set up to be exposed to flooding without damage and demolition to remove the wet materials.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote