Understanding IBC Span Tables - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-02-2011, 11:48 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Understanding IBC span tables

I am removing a load bearing wall in between the kitchen and dining room. This is a two story house. I have a span of a little over 10 ft. I found the IBC span tables from a post I read here but I am not sure that I understand it. I found the section for two story using southern pine and it is as follows.
4-2x12 / 11-9 This is the first 2 fields in the table. Does this mean that I can span up to 11' 9" using 4 pine 2 x 12 that are sandwiched together? Any help would be appreciated. Thank You!

Advertisement

Collin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 12:24 PM   #2
I have gas!

Rewards Points: 1,018

Sizing beams is unique to the house and application. A table cannot know what load there is on a beam. You need to have it spec'ed. Many lumberyards provide this service for free but make sure you have all the measurements beforehand.

Advertisement

Old 12-02-2011, 06:14 PM   #3
Disabled wood vet

Rewards Points: 1,000

What all will it be supporting? Just a floor? A wall? The roof?
titanoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 07:31 PM   #4
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 2,196

I suspect you are looking at IBC span tables for joists. You state you are removing a load bearing wall. I assume you are trying to size the replacement beam that will carry the load formerly carried by the wall. You do not size the beam from IBC span tables, as previously noted. The beam must be sized based on the geometry (span, supports) and the loading, which as previously noted depends on the load path down to the beam from above. You may want to hire an engineer, architect or experienced contractor to size the beam for you, and prepare the plans that likely have to be submitted to your code official for approval. You also need to think through the temporary support carefully, you don't want the house to fall down when you remove the bearing wall.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 11:26 PM   #5
Too Old

Rewards Points: 250

You are removing a load bearing wall? Why would you do that and then ask for help here?
To start what is the load wall carrying? You say 2nd floor but is there a roof load or how about joist layout? Are the joists for the floor supported by the wall? What is the roof load at the area you want to remove?
Other then those questions to start with I think you may want to wait until you have all the information and permits.
Old 12-02-2011, 11:51 PM   #6
Disabled wood vet

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalife View Post
You are removing a load bearing wall? Why would you do that and then ask for help here?
To start what is the load wall carrying? You say 2nd floor but is there a roof load or how about joist layout? Are the joists for the floor supported by the wall? What is the roof load at the area you want to remove?
Other then those questions to start with I think you may want to wait until you have all the information and permits.
Not everybody runs out for a permit on a job that can easily be bootlegged (a small job inside the house).
titanoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 10:42 AM   #7

Thanks for the input everyone. I can do almost everything around the house myself but I think I WILL get a professional to help with this. It sounds like, from your input, that a professional is really needed here. I certainly DO NOT want the house to come down on my head.
Thank guys,
Collin
Collin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 03:02 PM   #8

If you understand the loads that will apply to your situation, there are tools that can help you calculate the beam size required in your application. I used to create spreadsheets specific for each beam I designed, but then I found the ConstructionCalc tools. Their ProBeam spreadsheet is pretty simple to use, and it already contains all of timber profiles and other constants. It lets you enter a number of different type loads, live/dead, distributed and point, and it gives you multiple choices for material options that might work best in your situation. I've not found a situation for which the program wouldn't work. You can checkout their demo at: http://www.constructioncalc.com/blog/software-demos/.

Good Luck,
Dave

Advertisement

dave54 is offline   Reply With Quote