Underpinning Outer Garage Wall - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-10-2008, 10:21 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Underpinning Outer Garage Wall

Hello Guyz,

I am buying a house and I really need some info on underpinning outer garage wall. The 1.5 car garage was added seperately to the house.

The garage is attached to the right side of the house. There is a breeze way between the garage and the house to get into the house from garage.

It was recommended by the inspector to do the underpinning to outer wall of the garage from outside. This wall is made of blocks but it does have a concerete block base underneath. The garage is kind of detaching itself from the house and eventually will break of the roof shingles as well.

Inspector said I would need to dig about 6 feet a part and about 4 feet deep and pour concerete etc...

This job does not need to be done urgently but I just need to know the step required.

I would really appreciate and feel better if someone can shed some light as to what steps are need to do this myself and the material needed.

Thank you in advance.

Advertisement

Last edited by sport2002; 04-11-2008 at 08:10 AM.
sport2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 08:13 AM   #2
so-elitecrete

Rewards Points: 150

digging a hole under the fnd & placing concrete usually,,, we did this often when installing sub-floor perimeter water management systems,,, you'll want to spread the load equally at either side of the fnd.

depth of anchor depends largely on soil strengths,,, if those don't work, you may need soil cements or earth anchors.

Advertisement

so-elitecrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 08:56 AM   #3

so-elitecrete..thanks a lot for your reply...

Do you mean that I will need to dig from both sides of the wall. Outerside of the wall is just sand but inside is concerete floor, that might be a little hard. Plus, can I just dig and find the base of the block foundation and just pour the concerte...and filll up the hole with sand afterwards.

I will continue to do this with 5 feet gap between each whole I dig to cover 20 feet garage. I would obviously wont dig it all at once but do one hole at a time each week. I will probably have to dig 4 holes to cover the 20 feet long garage.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks

Last edited by sport2002; 04-11-2008 at 09:00 AM.
Old 04-11-2008, 10:20 AM   #4
so-elitecrete

Rewards Points: 150

i'd be diggin' from the sandy side 'cause we're all lazy, too the rest sounds right to me.

you're welcome !
so-elitecrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 12:24 PM   #5

thanks a lot...

that makes me feel much better...I am probably going to buy the house since there is nothing wrong with the house foundation itslef it was just the garage.

At least I know What is needed to be done to fix the garage.

Thanks again