Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-15-2010, 12:18 PM   #1

Share |

undermount sink removal

I have a Kohler cast iron (144 lbs.) Executive Chef undermounted under granite. I want to replace the sink with an e-granite type.
Contractors I have talked to either have not attempted this or are reluctant to try. Some have suggested using a thin blade electric saw (rotary?) to get rid of some of the sink weight first. The concern is cracking the front or back edge of the granite. Front edge is 3" w/ bullnose and back edge is 1 1/4".
Anyone know how best to remove this sink? Laser? Saw?
I am OK with the removal of the cabinet wall between the sink cabinet and adjacent dishwasher to help get it out. It is just the concern for keeping the granite intact that is primary.

killerkitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 12:32 PM   #2
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

undermount sink removal

If the sink was properly installed with either the K5806 or K5807 installation rails, this should be little more than a matter of backing off the bolts that are threaded into nuts inside the installation rails.

With the rails, the weight is carried by the front and rear of the cabinet, not the countertop.

Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote