Under Deck Question/ Ideas - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-02-2012, 10:13 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Under deck question/ ideas

I'm starting a new project at a friends house, and I have a couple questions before I start to map this out. He has a tall deck and would like to build an under deck. The drainage system under the deck is already in place, but we would like to build a platform and enclose a section. The ground is very level and the sliding door is about a foot off the ground. My question is can I build the platform on concrete blocks or piers? or is it necessary to anchor this under deck platform to the house and pour regular footings past the frost line? The enclosed section will just be simple framed walls that will be screened over.

Advertisement

sm424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 05:39 AM   #2
Remodeling Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,000

you need footings

Advertisement

Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 06:38 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

If you are trying to match the deck and the door, footings are necessary. Depending on where you live, the deck could rise/fall by several inches a year. And without footings. it will not stay level. So, if you want a deck that looks terrible after a year or so, no footings needed.
Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 11:35 AM   #4

I figured that. What if I secured the deck to the posts of the deck above? Those posts are obviously sitting on footing past the frost line
Old 07-03-2012, 11:53 AM   #5
Renovations contractor

Rewards Points: 250

No idea where you are located, but here in BC for a low level deck such as that concrete piers are commonly used and this meets code. How big is the deck going to be? How big are the posts for the existing deck and how many are there? Not really enough information to give an answer ... Not sure how others can say you must do footings when they don't have all the details.

A layout diagram would help.

Last edited by Bonzai; 07-03-2012 at 12:02 PM.
Bonzai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 02:10 PM   #6

Sorry about that. Alright, so I haven't yet taken measurements to get exact dimensions, but my friend (the home owner) says his deck is roughly 550 square feet and wraps around the house. The door, as I said before, is about a foot off the ground. I live in upstate NY/ Catskill mountain region, and the ground is exceptionally rocky, which is why I'm trying to avoid digging and pouring all those footings. I haven't yet called the building department regarding a permit for this job, but I will take care of that too. Truth is I should call them now. They will probably be able to tell me if footings are needed. Ha! today we come to the internet before even doing anything else
Old 07-03-2012, 02:52 PM   #7
Renovations contractor

Rewards Points: 250

Sounds like you have a good plan now ;-). Best of luck with the project. I'm also in a mountain area with likely many of the same challenges.
Bonzai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 05:39 PM   #8

So the inspector said that footings are necessary for this project. If not for the sliding porch door I would have definitely thought a free floating platform would have been alright. Even as it rises and settles with the seasons I can't see how it would have affected anything. Anyways, I got my work cut out for me

Advertisement