Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-19-2012, 03:50 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Under Deck Ceiling

I am interested in installing an under deck ceiling. We just purchased a hot tub to have under the deck and want to be able to use it year round and not worry about rain or debris getting on the hut tub. I have looked on line and see several ideas and was hoping to get some opinions on what is my best option. Thank you in advance for your opinion.

Shark05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 08:06 PM   #2
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 2,078

Under Deck Ceiling

Ayuh,... Steel or fiberglass roofin',...

Just make sure it's pitched for drainage...

Bondo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 08:10 PM   #3

Under Deck Ceiling

I was looking at vinyl. DrySnap or something like it.
Old 04-13-2012, 03:09 PM   #4

Under Deck Ceiling

@Shark05,

Don't know where you are located. I'm in metro Atlanta and did my underdeck 2 or 3 years ago.

I would not recommend vinyl. You can't put lighting, fans or anything else in it. If one section goes bad on you down the road, it looks like piss when you put a non-matching piece in. Plus, without lights, a space is only semi functional.

I need to get my pics up on a blog or somewhere on this forum. (been sayin' this for years now

I used Magnolia underdeck product made locally here. They have installation crews but will sell and deliver product to you - which is what I did.

I have had ZERO issues with the Magnolia system (NO LEAKS or any blockage). The design is superior and the level of support and patience they have with first timers like me was off the charts.
http://magnoliaoutdoorliving.com/OurSystem/index.htm

Magnolia uses a system of interlocking finished aluminum U-channels supported around the perimeter and sloped to hidden gutter-type drains. I'm no great shakes at DIY anything but was able to install five can-lights, a ceiling fan, hidden cove lighting beneath the underdeck system, and a track from which outdoor screen "drapes" are used to keep out bugs & skeeters. Also put in a couple outdoor speakers, stained the concrete floor and The Bride picked some nice furniture for our outdoor living room. This and my home theater system DIY are the best things I've ever put together.

PM me if you are still considering options. I'll send some pics.
here4beer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 03:37 PM   #5

Under Deck Ceiling

here4beer,

I like your idea. I am hoping that they can offer me their product in Michigan. Thank you very much for the information. Any pictures you can offer would be great. I would like to see some "non" promotional pictures of how it looks. They always show the best in class projects to sell product and not the average job.
Old 04-13-2012, 08:48 PM   #6
Residential Designer

Rewards Points: 548
Send a message via Skype™ to AndyGump

Under Deck Ceiling

Do I understand that you have an upper deck that is not now weather tight and you want to install some kind of ceiling to be water tight?
The ceiling will then transfer water from the non weather tight deck to somewhere outside the structure?

Andy.
Old 04-14-2012, 12:30 AM   #7

Under Deck Ceiling

Andy,

I currently have a trex deck over my walkout patio. I want to put a ceiling on the underside of the deck. It is a standard deck.

Shark05
Old 04-14-2012, 08:08 AM   #8
MarginallyQualified

Rewards Points: 2,084

Under Deck Ceiling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark05 View Post
Andy,
I currently have a trex deck over my walkout patio.
Anything short of solid flooring on that deck won't work.

You can try to fake it with something suspended from below the deck...
and it might even sorta seem to work (for a while)...
but it won't hold up and worse it will expose the deck framing to moisture damage.
TarheelTerp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 08:28 AM   #9
Household Handyman

Rewards Points: 1,020

Under Deck Ceiling

I've seen many of these "ceilings" installed under decks in the Roswell/Alpharetta/Norcross (Atlanta) area. Many high-dollar homes in this area are built with the main floor front door being street level but the back door opens onto a deck due to the slope of the yard. The aluminum material for these appears to be the best as the vinyl will start to "droop" in between the support beams in due time. "AndyGump": Yes these are installed under decks with proper spacing between the deck boards. The material is installed so the rain water will be caught, goes to one or more edges, and is dispersed via downspouts properly placed. The result is a dry "underdeck" area even while it is raining.
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 11:05 AM   #10

Under Deck Ceiling

@TarheelTerp,

Would appreciate your citing some specific examples to support your conclusion. The system I installed requires a minimum of 4" clearance below BOJ (bottom of joists). My deck was built in 2000 so framing is CCA treated pine.

I'd bet you a cool beverage that my framing is not suffering damage. Should know in a year or two as I will have to replace the deck boards up top - this will allow a thorough inspection.

here4beer is offline   Reply With Quote