Un-remodeling - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-20-2007, 01:07 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 250

Un-remodeling

The house I'm in was my mothers since 71'. The house is 1910 and was..gulp..remodeled in the 80's. To level the floors in a couple rooms, the idiot contractors laid down sleepers and another subfloor. So now, you have to step down or up from one room to another.

Besides a new/taller entry door, base molding and subfloor material, what else could I be in for when I demo?

FYI - The floor joists and original t&G subfloor look fine from the basement.

Advertisement

Jeekinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 01:35 PM   #2
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

Un-remodeling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeekinz View Post
The house I'm in was my mothers since 71'. The house is 1910 and was..gulp..remodeled in the 80's. To level the floors in a couple rooms, the idiot contractors laid down sleepers and another subfloor. So now, you have to step down or up from one room to another.

Besides a new/taller entry door, base molding and subfloor material, what else could I be in for when I demo?

FYI - The floor joists and original t&G subfloor look fine from the basement.

That depends on whether you are planning on leaving the floor the way those guys did it....or ripping them up and trying to jack up and straighten things out a little....I couldn't quite read into exactly what your plan is ???

Advertisement

Old 02-20-2007, 02:08 PM   #3

Un-remodeling

The plan is to rip up the subfloor they installed. The entrance between the kitchen and livingroom is about 2 1/2" difference. I installed HW floors in the kitchen and would like to carry them throughout the first floor. The house is old, I would rather have a slight pitch to the floor than a step between rooms.
Old 02-20-2007, 02:22 PM   #4

Un-remodeling

Quote:
The plan is to rip up the subfloor they installed. The entrance between the kitchen and livingroom is about 2 1/2" difference. I installed HW floors in the kitchen and would like to carry them throughout the first floor. The house is old, I would rather have a slight pitch to the floor than a step between rooms.
Is jacking up and trying to straighten out the floors somewhat ....a viable option? It really is not that difficult of a project to do....
Old 02-20-2007, 02:33 PM   #5

Un-remodeling

Yes. If the original floors are too far off level then I will straighten them out.

What obstacles could I encounter by removing the floor they installed?

Also, at one end of the room is a 6' x 15' addition (basically a bump-out with non accessible crawl space) When they installed the foundation for the addition, would they have met the height of the original foundation or not?

If they built the new section of foundation to accomodate the height the floor is now, I would have to lower the floor joists.
Old 02-20-2007, 02:45 PM   #6

Un-remodeling

Quote:
.... If the original floors are too far off level then I will straighten them out.
What obstacles could I encounter by removing the floor they installed?
None that I am aware of...tho, you just never know how they installed that floor. Example: Maybe they could have used tons of construction adhesives...?

Quote:
Also, at one end of the room is a 6' x 15' addition (basically a bump-out with non accessible crawl space) When they installed the foundation for the addition, would they have met the height of the original foundation or not?.
Again, I can't tell you whether they did or not. Not all additions are attached to meet the same floor height of the existing structure. (they are usually even to it or a step down....)
It is actually common for new structures which are added onto or attached to older structures to have a step down (to increase head room/height), since the ceiling heights of older homes are not adequate by today's standards...

Quote:
If they built the new section of foundation to accomodate the height the floor is now, I would have to lower the floor joists.
As mentioned previously, I would not worry about stepping down to an addition, that is not completely unusual. It's stepping up that seems/looks/feels - strange....

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 02-20-2007 at 02:48 PM.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 04:33 PM   #7
EAD Nassau

Rewards Points: 10

Un-remodeling

Sorry. No unauthorized soliciting or advertising.

Advertisement

Last edited by Mike Swearingen; 03-04-2007 at 04:36 PM. Reason: Rule Violation
EAD Nassau is offline   Reply With Quote