Um...orange Rust Streaks On My Exterior Walls? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-05-2011, 08:36 AM   #1
Caution! Girl working

Rewards Points: 75

um...orange rust streaks on my exterior walls?

Hello oh-so-wonderful, helpful people!
Here's the deal...oh, and the photos are upright on my computer, but they're sideways when posted here...sorry, not sure how to fix that.

Photo 1: These orange streaks are occurring on my house's exterior. I've only owned the place for about 18-months and, now the the interior is mostly done it's time to focus on the exterior.

As you can see, these orange streaks are popping up everywhere. There were a few when I moved in but now there are many more.

Photo 4: virtually no roof overhang

Photo 5: Inside the basement, the concrete block is deteriorating at the bottoms of all of the exterior basement walls. This photo is one of the better places. In some areas, the paint is missing for at least a foot high. Everytime I sweep the floor along the wall, small balls and tiny chunks of concrete come out with my broom.

I did get water in the basement once...the gutters overflowed and I ended up with a little stream of water that came in at the basement ceiling, ran down the interior wall, and puddled on the floor. The funny thing is that the water originated at the basement ceiling, which is about a foot above ground level! How is that possible?

A little info on the house: it's built of plasticrete block with a "brick" veneer (it's not real brick, it's like stamped concrete).

So, I'm concerned that there is water getting in between the block and the veneer, causing the anchors to rust and causing the deterioration at the base of the foundation in the basement.

I realize there may be some condensation between the block and the veneer. I need to stop whatever's happening to cause these issues before fixing up the exterior (new windows, painting, etc.).

I was thinking of getting new clog-free gutters that run off into something other than old clay pipes to at least help re-direct water run-off from the roof away from the foundation. But, do you think there's more going on here? I don't have a lot of money to extend the roof or anything so be gentle lol!

How do I deal with the anchors that are already rusting? Should I squeeze silicon around them before painting? Obviously, I have no idea what to do. Any advise would be greatly appreciated!

YOU ROCK! Thanks, people :-)
Attached Thumbnails
um...orange rust streaks on my exterior walls?-back-orange.jpg   um...orange rust streaks on my exterior walls?-clay-pipe.jpg   um...orange rust streaks on my exterior walls?-close-orange.jpg   um...orange rust streaks on my exterior walls?-rear-roofline.jpg   um...orange rust streaks on my exterior walls?-garage-wall.jpg  

Advertisement

Last edited by ADaniLion; 08-05-2011 at 08:39 AM.
ADaniLion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 08:56 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

There looks to be metal rusting and the residue is going down the walls.
Try removing the offending surface metal. The house is painted, so if you make holes, you can patch and repaint.
I'd also look to the leaders and where they go. The one pictured goes into a broken pipe. Water next to the foundation whether due to leaders or bad grading will cause issues in the basement. If the pipe in the ground goes to a dry well, I'd make sure they were away from the foundation.

Advertisement

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 01:00 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

If it's a concrete wall those could be the form ties that were left behind. hard to really tell from the photos though...

As far as water in the basement, you'll need to manage the water on the site. Like Ron said, the leader discharge locations should be addressed and the site grading should slope away from the house. If you still get water after that you may want to investigate perimeter footing drainage.
Old 08-05-2011, 01:06 PM   #4
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

Rewards Points: 1,000

I agree.
What shape is the roof in, I see that the roof edging was not cut, it hangs past the gutter, which would make me curious to see if the shingles are hanging enough into the gutter. and not leaking behind fascia and running down behind brick veneer.
buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 05:40 PM   #5
Caution! Girl working

Hello again, sorry for the delayed response.

The roof is in OK shape overall. It was alegedly replaced by the prior owner about 8-years ago, but I know it was not done properly because when I moved in there was an old, active leak at the flashing around the chimney (which I promptly had fixed) and there is no boot over the base of a vent pipe that's sticking up out of the roof (they just used a blob of tar), which I will need to have corrected. So, it would not be surprising at all if it turns out that the ends of the roof shingles weren't done properly.

From your comment, yes, the roof shingles hang too far into the gutters. They're very difficult to clean out because the space to get your hand into the gutter is so narrow. I'm very intrigued by your comments...just trying to understand this so please bear with me. Are you saying that if the roof shingles go too far over the gutters, water can back up? If that's possible, then that is definitely a possible factor.

Yes, the gutter leads need to be redirected from their old clay pipe drains, also. I'll do that when I know whether the current gutters are going to be replaced.

So, if it turns out that the water is getting in where the gutter meets the roof, and I have that corrected, what would you recommend I put in the rusty spots before painting the house? Is there an apoxy or should I use exterior caulk or just scrub them and prime them?

Thanks as always - you guys are a wonderful resource!!!
Old 08-08-2011, 06:41 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADaniLion View Post
what would you recommend I put in the rusty spots before painting the house? Is there an apoxy or should I use exterior caulk or just scrub them and prime them?
You need to deal with the source of the rust, not just the residue produced by it.
Old 08-10-2011, 07:53 AM   #7
Caution! Girl working

Oh, yes, of course I am working on determining the source of the problem. But, once that problem is fixed (as well as it can be), I'll need to clean out and prep the damaged anchors before painting the exterior. I just wasn't sure of the best way to seal them once I get the main rust off.
Old 08-10-2011, 08:02 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADaniLion View Post
Oh, yes, of course I am working on determining the source of the problem. But, once that problem is fixed (as well as it can be), I'll need to clean out and prep the damaged anchors before painting the exterior. I just wasn't sure of the best way to seal them once I get the main rust off.
They sell a product called, Rust Reformer. This is one name of a family of products that do the same job. It converts the rust to a paintable surface. I believe Rustoleum makes the one I mentioned. Once it's sealed, you can prime and paint it.
The issue I see with this, is that the wall might absorb water, exposing the shank of the metal to moisture. Since that won't be sealed, it could start to rust and bleed out onto the surface.
Ideally, you would remove the offending metal completely.
Old 08-18-2011, 02:14 PM   #9
Caution! Girl working

Thanks so much! The contractors will be at the house tomorrow to look at things. I'm beginning to wonder if, maybe, there's no drip edge??? That would certainly explain it - I'll find out soon!!!

Advertisement