Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-09-2012, 12:39 AM   #1

Share |

UBC Nailing schedule & Framing nailer sizes

Hi DIY Chatroom - I have what is probably a beginners question. The plans for my project call out for certain size nails for each type of nailing. There is a nailing schedule that the architect included with the plans. I bought a Hitachi NR100A Framing nailer, and I was hoping to use it to put everything together (framing and siding).

But now that I'm shopping for collated strip nails, I'm discovering a couple things:
1) It seems as though the sizes called out for on the plans are not available for nailers.
2) It seems like it might be difficult to nail accurately through the holes in the Simson Strong Tie hardware (I have been practicing on scrap wood).

So, I'm wondering what others do about the nail sizes. Surely others have encountered this. I can't imagine that everyone is using a hammer to use the proper gauge nails. Can you still conform to the UBC using a nailer?

My nailer says it can do 70mm to 100mm nails; diameter of 3.1mm to 3.4mm.

With regard to aim, any hints, or (again), do people just generally use a hammer?

Thanks in advance for any help!

fulmar2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:57 AM   #2

Framing nailers will not work for joist hangers.
The least expencive way would be with a hammer, done all the time.
The next best way is with a palm nailer.
http://www.bing.com/shopping/senco-p...iler&FORM=HURE

To pass code you have to use special hanger nails, except the two that go in at an angle that are longer.

I have a gun made just for hanger nails, but if your only doing this one job it would not be worth buying.
http://www.homeconstructionimproveme...uns-for-metal/

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
fulmar2 (11-10-2012)
Old 11-09-2012, 07:25 AM   #3

I suspect the various nail sizes called out are the code minimums for each application. But there's generally nothing wrong with using a bigger nail. I think 2x4 framing calls for 12d nails. I did a bunch of house builds with Habitat for Humanity in several different states, and except for trim, siding, and roof, all nailing was done with 8d or 16d sinkers.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 07:30 AM   #4
AHH, SPANS!!!

yep, hand drive for the hangers and gun nail everything else. simpson N 10 joist hanger nails are the heavy duty nail for larger hangers and N 8 are the standard for average size hangers. I use 3" ring shank nails for the angled hanger nails and as Joe mentioned, a palm nailer will get the hangers up in no time. Be sure that the hangers pull up tight to the underside of the framing lumber before driving the nails in...

Last edited by hand drive; 11-09-2012 at 07:33 AM.
hand drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:00 AM   #5

I believe what the OP is talking about is that common wire nail sizes that are typically specified in nailing schedules are not the same size as ring shank nails. for example a common 8d nail has a shank diameter of 0.131" and a length of 2-1/2" where as a ring shank nail is typically 0.113" x 2-3/8".

I believe I have a document for comparison but I'll have to look for it later.

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 02:02 PM   #6
AHH, SPANS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBrackins View Post
I believe what the OP is talking about is that common wire nail sizes that are typically specified in nailing schedules are not the same size as ring shank nails. for example a common 8d nail has a shank diameter of 0.131" and a length of 2-1/2" where as a ring shank nail is typically 0.113" x 2-3/8".

I believe I have a document for comparison but I'll have to look for it later.

Many times we get the larger size diameter gun nails because they shoot better and are stronger in holding power. They cost more though but are worth it for many applications
hand drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 03:49 PM   #7
journeyman carpenter

for wood to wood framing connections regular gun spikes are fine when its 2x stock. for 2x stock you only need 2 1/4 gun nails. for joist hangers and tie downs you need hanger nails.. for a diyer just buy the hand nails... you can get them for guns but unless your framing all the time its not a worthwhile purchase.. there are a select few framing nailers that can shoot both regular gun spikes and hanger nails however they are much more expsensive and usually available only from tool dealers.. hitachi, bostich and i believe max tools make them

as for using a framing gun for siding... bad idea.. framing guns are tricky to dial in for the correct depth setting and the nose is sharp for toenailing which can mar finished product. either hand nail or rent a siding nailer.

if you look at the nail gun display at a store youll notice all kinds of guns..reason being each one can only shoot one specific gauge of nail each.. where as a hammer can drive every type.. but a bigger hammer can drive bigger nails quicker
woodworkbykirk is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to woodworkbykirk For This Useful Post:
fulmar2 (11-10-2012)
Old 11-10-2012, 09:40 AM   #8

Great replies, everyone! I learned a lot here. I guess I jumped the gun getting a nailer Probably the most helpful information was learning about the palm nailer; I had never heard of these. I may give that a try - they aren't too expensive, and seem to get good reviews. Thanks!!

fulmar2 is offline   Reply With Quote