Uba Tuba Granit - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-23-2010, 11:04 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 522

Uba Tuba Granit

Has anyone worked with or installed Uba Tuba granit? Just wondering how it holds up, and how well you liked it... we are thinking about installing it here in the bathrooms and kitchen I know its a mid range granit, but it looks kind of neat

Advertisement

BlueBSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 11:12 PM   #2
Stay-at-home GC

Rewards Points: 500

Uba Tuba Granit

Very happy with ours. Very tight granite will probably never need sealing.

Advertisement

CplDevilDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 11:26 PM   #3

Uba Tuba Granit

Quote:
Originally Posted by CplDevilDog View Post
Very happy with ours. Very tight granite will probably never need sealing.
what type of finish did you match yours with? We were looking at a nice cherry or cabernett color (dark red / brown)
Old 12-23-2010, 11:33 PM   #4
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,576

Uba Tuba Granit

Real Uba tuba (charnockite) may be about as good as it gets. You won't be sealing it but you'll be loving it. It is a super high density stone from Brazil.

IF, it is the real thing. There are plenty of faux granites on the market these days.
Old 12-23-2010, 11:39 PM   #5

Uba Tuba Granit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Cline View Post
Real Uba tuba (charnockite) may be about as good as it gets. You won't be sealing it but you'll be loving it. It is a super high density stone from Brazil.

IF, it is the real thing. There are plenty of faux granites on the market these days.
it says natural granite, so I am hoping it is not faux
Old 12-23-2010, 11:40 PM   #6
Tileguy

Uba Tuba Granit

Where are you buying it?
And, what color is it really?
Old 12-23-2010, 11:42 PM   #7

Uba Tuba Granit

Quote:
Where are you buying it?
well, looking at a couple of possible sources, but we started by looking at samples at lowes... definatly heavy for the small 8x4 inch samples they have and feels like granite, says natural granite... cant remember what the company that supplied it was called
Old 12-23-2010, 11:47 PM   #8

Uba Tuba Granit

Quote:
Where are you buying it?
And, what color is it really?
the color of the granite? its a dark background with golds and browns in it
Old 12-23-2010, 11:55 PM   #9
Tileguy

Uba Tuba Granit

Yow I was afraid of that. Here's what is sometimes the problem with some of this stuff.

Real live Uba tuba from Brazil is very high quality and can be costly. For the home centers to be home centers and offer lower prices they don't always offer the real thing but they do come up with a lessor product. Something that is lighter weight, cheaper to transport, easier to machine, and more affordable for their customers. Hence the faux granites.

This doesn't mean they aren't good products for their class but they may not be as represented either.

I'm not familiar with Uba tuba prices but the last job I was on that used it it's price was around $125 per square foot I think. How much per square foot is the lowe's product?

Uba tuba is a beautiful stone that generally runs from deep dark green to black depending on the light source as far as I know. Why not shop around and call some real stone yards for price comparison just for fun?

Buyer Be Ware!
Old 12-23-2010, 11:56 PM   #10
Tileguy

Uba Tuba Granit

Quote:
its a dark background with golds and browns in it
I think I would want that certified as Uba tuba.
Old 12-24-2010, 01:48 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 2,000

Uba Tuba Granit

I have it in my bathroom and it has done really well for us. It didn't come at a premium price compared to other granite color choices in the same price category, and is real ubatuba granite (dark green, black, gold). It did not get mine from a home center....I'm with Bud on that....For every home center countertop success story there is a nightmare story out there as well. All they are is a middleman with ill-informed salespeople in most cases. I find it better to go straight to the source/fabricator/installer and deal directly with them. Our ubatuba hasn't required any sealing post-installation and my wife gets it wet on a daily basis. It cleans up like new with very little effort.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 11:20 AM   #12

Uba Tuba Granit

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekctermite View Post
I have it in my bathroom and it has done really well for us. It didn't come at a premium price compared to other granite color choices in the same price category, and is real ubatuba granite (dark green, black, gold). It did not get mine from a home center....I'm with Bud on that....For every home center countertop success story there is a nightmare story out there as well. All they are is a middleman with ill-informed salespeople in most cases. I find it better to go straight to the source/fabricator/installer and deal directly with them. Our ubatuba hasn't required any sealing post-installation and my wife gets it wet on a daily basis. It cleans up like new with very little effort.
at $120 a sq ft I'd sure hope its the real stuff... but after checking their supplier is a place here in pennsylvania, and after talking to them they said it is real granite and guranteed to be what they say it is...

I guess the bad thing is we have no real stone yards around us, well within 100 miles... and the place I talked to is the closest one so I'd probably end up getting it from them in the end anyways as two other places I talked to get it from the same supplier... gota love competition?...

Advertisement