Typical Home Owner (Handyman) Job... - Building & Construction - Page 3 - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2011, 10:53 PM   #31
Member
 
jproffer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Chester, IL
Posts: 1,321
Rewards Points: 548
Default

Typical Home Owner (Handyman) job...


Quote:
THe Electrician who was with us, told us that the Electrical box in the photo above, wasn't connected to anything. It was just nailed in place, and left there for no apparent reason.
That's called "abandoned"




but anyway, what fitting are you talking about?....for feed lines, you could have threaded brass fittings into PVC pipe to transition from one to the other.

The black one down below doesn't look like ABS, or it wouldn't have a hose clamp on it.

The red one definitely don't look like ABS.

Advertisement

jproffer is offline  
Old 12-26-2011, 10:56 PM   #32
Facilities Maintenance
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Sedro-Woolley WA
Posts: 280
Rewards Points: 250
Default

Typical Home Owner (Handyman) job...


Can't edit my above posts. The previous Home Owner literally installed pipes that don't connect to anything. They connect to the main line, and then are capped by a nipple you have to cut with a pipe cutter to gain access too (like water feeds to a water heater, or sink, that kind of thing)

IDK if I have a photo or not, but there is also a copper pipe that spans into the cabinets beneath the countertop, that are hanging freely (they are put in place iwht pipe hangers) that just stop before the refridgerator, and sealed off with a cap. No apparent reason why it is where it is.

The previous homeowner literally had to of gone to hardware stores, by random crap, and just put things in places at absolute random.

The photo underneath the sink, majority of those pipes, are connected to the main water line. But don't connect to anything else, just random piping.
BigGuy01 is offline  
Old 12-26-2011, 10:59 PM   #33
Facilities Maintenance
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Sedro-Woolley WA
Posts: 280
Rewards Points: 250
Default

Typical Home Owner (Handyman) job...


Quote:
Originally Posted by jproffer View Post
That's called "abandoned"




but anyway, what fitting are you talking about?....for feed lines, you could have threaded brass fittings into PVC pipe to transition from one to the other.

The black one down below doesn't look like ABS, or it wouldn't have a hose clamp on it.

The red one definitely don't look like ABS.
But there is no indication any wires were ever wired to it, or any holes were made for wiring to go to it at all, as if the previous home owner put it in place, and left it as is, and/or forgot it was even there.

The Pipe clamp isn't holding anything in place. It's randomly put there.

I'm not joking what so ever, the previous home owner to put random crap everywhere in this house, without any reason at all we can find for why the previous home owner did it.

We have to rewire, and redo plumbing across the entire house, because there is too much random crap in random places. Literally.

EDIT

Regarding the pipe clamp, we unscrewed it, and it's not on that pipe anymore. There is a blue glue (it looks like glue anyways) that it is connected into. (glued together with glue that is a fluerecent blue, we have no idea what kind of glue it even is)

Last edited by BigGuy01; 12-26-2011 at 11:02 PM.
BigGuy01 is offline  
Old 12-26-2011, 10:59 PM   #34
Member
 
jproffer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Chester, IL
Posts: 1,321
Rewards Points: 548
Default

Typical Home Owner (Handyman) job...


Quote:
that just stop before the refridgerator, and sealed off with a cap. No apparent reason why it is where it is
No apparent reason....to you maybe..........literally
jproffer is offline  
Old 12-26-2011, 11:00 PM   #35
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 141
Rewards Points: 81
Default

Typical Home Owner (Handyman) job...


Solid wood joists in 2003?
Total Tool is offline  
Old 12-26-2011, 11:01 PM   #36
Member
 
jproffer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Chester, IL
Posts: 1,321
Rewards Points: 548
Default

Typical Home Owner (Handyman) job...


Quote:
The Pipe clamp isn't holding anything in place. It's randomly put there
It's around the hose that we're talking about....looks tight....it's doing something, but OK if you say so.
jproffer is offline  
Old 12-26-2011, 11:03 PM   #37
Member
 
jproffer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Chester, IL
Posts: 1,321
Rewards Points: 548
Default

Typical Home Owner (Handyman) job...


Quote:
Solid wood joists in 2003?
....we (all but Bigguy) have decided this house is more like 8(0) years old, instead of 8.
jproffer is offline  
Old 12-26-2011, 11:03 PM   #38
Facilities Maintenance
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Sedro-Woolley WA
Posts: 280
Rewards Points: 250
Default

Typical Home Owner (Handyman) job...


Quote:
Originally Posted by jproffer View Post
No apparent reason....to you maybe..........literally
Electrician and Plumber each said there is no reason for the person to have done this stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Total Tool View Post
Solid wood joists in 2003?
Previous home owner installed them, majority of structural supports, were not on the floor plan, or houses blueprints. Which is another reason why the city has revoked certificate of occupancy for the house. and we have a General Contractor who will come in to work out the structure.

If it has to be structurally reworked, the project will go from $15,000 to $40,000 if we have to redo the physical structure of the home. Meaning all plumbing and electrical will have to be put on the backburner.

Previous home owner did all of this.

Last edited by BigGuy01; 12-26-2011 at 11:06 PM.
BigGuy01 is offline  
Old 12-26-2011, 11:08 PM   #39
Facilities Maintenance
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Sedro-Woolley WA
Posts: 280
Rewards Points: 250
Default

Typical Home Owner (Handyman) job...


Can't edit my above post again.

The way it looks, if we can't (or at least in the next week for me) get things squared away with this home, it will have to be torn down to the foundation and a new house built in place. Because the previous home owner did so much to the house.

EDIT

Which will turn a $15,000 project, into a $130,000 project.

EDIT

THis is why Home Owners, and DIYers, need to pay attention to what the heck they are doing.

Last edited by BigGuy01; 12-26-2011 at 11:12 PM.
BigGuy01 is offline  
Old 12-26-2011, 11:13 PM   #40
Member
 
jproffer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Chester, IL
Posts: 1,321
Rewards Points: 548
Default

Typical Home Owner (Handyman) job...


Quote:
Electrician and Plumber each said there is no reason for the person to have done this stuff
OK, try to follow along......

You said:
Quote:
but there is also a copper pipe that spans into the cabinets beneath the countertop, that are hanging freely (they are put in place iwht pipe hangers) that just stop before the refridgerator, and sealed off with a cap.
If your plumber doesn't see the reason for the pipe that stops short of the fridge........get a new plumber.

However, I'm feeling weak, so now you can go in tomorrow and tell the 35 year plumber you know something he don't.......

The old fridge had an ice maker.....to make ice, you need water....so unless you're going to carry it over with a bucket....you need a water line

Good so far??

The new fridge didn't have an ice maker...don't need any water...can't just leave the water line hanging there spraying....so you cut it back into the cabinet and cap it off in case the next fridge needs it.

Last edited by jproffer; 12-26-2011 at 11:16 PM.
jproffer is offline  
Old 12-26-2011, 11:16 PM   #41
Member
 
jproffer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Chester, IL
Posts: 1,321
Rewards Points: 548
Default

Typical Home Owner (Handyman) job...


Quote:
Can't edit my above post again.
Good, because when you do that (assuming you're adding something meaningful) it gets confusing...just make a new post.
jproffer is offline  
Old 12-26-2011, 11:28 PM   #42
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Freeport Maine
Posts: 484
Rewards Points: 250
Default

Typical Home Owner (Handyman) job...


Quote:
Originally Posted by BigGuy01 View Post
Can't edit my OP? odd...

This is a classic DIY Handymen job.
Wish I was smart enough to ignore this whole thread. However, while the pictures do paint a real mess, I take exception to the statement that this is a "classic" DIY job.
__________________
That's just my opinion. But it's free, so take it for what it's worth to you.
1910NE is offline  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 1910NE For This Useful Post:
DangerMouse (12-27-2011), jbfan (12-26-2011), oh'mike (12-27-2011)
Old 12-27-2011, 12:22 AM   #43
Facilities Maintenance
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Sedro-Woolley WA
Posts: 280
Rewards Points: 250
Default

Typical Home Owner (Handyman) job...


Quote:
Originally Posted by jproffer View Post
OK, try to follow along......

You said:


If your plumber doesn't see the reason for the pipe that stops short of the fridge........get a new plumber.

However, I'm feeling weak, so now you can go in tomorrow and tell the 35 year plumber you know something he don't.......

The old fridge had an ice maker.....to make ice, you need water....so unless you're going to carry it over with a bucket....you need a water line

Good so far??

The new fridge didn't have an ice maker...don't need any water...can't just leave the water line hanging there spraying....so you cut it back into the cabinet and cap it off in case the next fridge needs it.
The fridge already has an ice maker, it's completely connected. Everything in it is connected.

By "freehanging" it's literally hanging dead center, vertically, and horzontally in the cabinet. not up against the wall, not along the top edges underneath, but dead center. Can't put things under there without it getting in the way.

The Fridge has an ice maker, it's the same fridge that has been in since 2003. It's hook ups for the ice maker is a hose that's mounted into the back.

The copper tubing under the cabinet is not to the fridge at all. It serves literally no function at all. The side of the cabinet by the fridge, about 14'' from the cap of the copper tube, has no hole. there are no holes anywhere in the countertop to even allow the copper tube to go to the fridge.

EDIT

That copper tube doesn't go anywhere but in the cabinet, with no indication anything was ever going to hook up to it.

There are also random spots in some of the closets, where 14'' squares of carpeting were cut out, and replaced with what seemed to be glass tiles, edged, and grouted in. NO apparent reasons as to why. The patches were uncovered after moving another carpet from over them. (person covered them all up with sheets of 5'x 2 1/2' chunks of the houses carpet) At first glance it just looked like the previous home owner had them placed in the closets (speaking of the rugs) to protect the original carpet from whatever was in the closets (minor stains here and there) then after removing them we found the surprises of grouted tiles (almost like the previous home owner was practicing a tile job?)

Last edited by BigGuy01; 12-27-2011 at 12:29 AM.
BigGuy01 is offline  
Old 12-27-2011, 12:38 AM   #44
JOATMON
 
ddawg16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: S. California
Posts: 7,650
Rewards Points: 2,614
Default

Typical Home Owner (Handyman) job...


2003?

It's 4 months till April.

The Knob & Tube is obvious in the first pic....that little white porcelan thing on the side of the floor joist.

That is galvanized pipe in the second pic....the way it's hanging is typical of what plumbers do when a house is re-piped....just cut it out where necessary and leave the rest.

The old Douglas Fir is pretty obvious....in fact, I bet is you measure it...the thickness is going to be more like 1 9/16's, not 1 1/2". No way that was built in 2003.
__________________
Even if you are on the right track, you will still get run over if you just sit there.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now  
Old 12-27-2011, 12:44 AM   #45
Facilities Maintenance
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Sedro-Woolley WA
Posts: 280
Rewards Points: 250
Default

Typical Home Owner (Handyman) job...


Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16 View Post
2003?

It's 4 months till April.

The Knob & Tube is obvious in the first pic....that little white porcelan thing on the side of the floor joist.

That is galvanized pipe in the second pic....the way it's hanging is typical of what plumbers do when a house is re-piped....just cut it out where necessary and leave the rest.

The old Douglas Fir is pretty obvious....in fact, I bet is you measure it...the thickness is going to be more like 1 9/16's, not 1 1/2". No way that was built in 2003.
The floor joists, were installed via the previous home owner, they are not original to the house.

Floor joists you can't really tell, but spacing is not uniform between them. Some of them are also crooked.

They are not original, nor in the buildings blueprints.

Advertisement

BigGuy01 is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Insulating unfinished basement, First time home owner please help! ashory Building & Construction 7 08-26-2011 12:44 AM
Soon to be home owner Atomic Teaspoon Introductions 2 05-27-2011 09:52 PM
New and first time home owner and new to DIYchatroom Yoo Shin Introductions 4 10-14-2007 11:41 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts