Typical Home Owner (Handyman) Job... - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Closed Thread

Old 12-26-2011, 09:48 PM   #1
Facilities Maintenance

Rewards Points: 250

Typical Home Owner (Handyman) job...

This is why you REALLY need to pay attention to what you're doing, how you're doing it, and make sure you do work to code.

This is also a classical reason, on why Legislature looks at Home Owners and "Handyman" as being headaches and incompetent when it comes to doing trade work.

This is why in the State of Washington, you either have to have a License to do Plumbing and Electrical, or work under the "advise" or have one serve as an "advisor" to supervise how you do your work.

This is a project I'll be working on for the next week. Working with a Journeyman Plumber, and a Journeyman Electrician. We have to take out all Plumbing and Wiring, and start from scratch because it's too great of a mess. And then we'll have a Licensed General Contractor fix up the structural work.

This, is why a lot of states and counties and cities, make it illegal to do this kind of work without a license, or do this kind of work without the supervision of someone who does have a license.

This

and then this

http://i1080.photobucket.com/albums/...2/192be2b4.jpg

If you have any basic knowledge of Plumbing and/or Electrical, you will see why this is just screwed up...

Advertisement

Old 12-26-2011, 09:59 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 548

Most of that looks older than....well older than you.

Maybe back then, it was legal to do....I don't know, just saying maybe.

Why does it all have to be redone? I mean it's not pretty, I'll give ya that....was there an inspection that brought this on? Or does the homeowner just WANT it redone?......or what?

Advertisement

Old 12-26-2011, 10:01 PM   #3
Facilities Maintenance

Can't edit my OP? odd...

Anyways, there are about 70 or so photos of this house project. This is a houses basement, built in guess when? 2003.... Previous homeowner started playing with the house as soon as he bought it. With everything from water damages, to electrical scorch marks, to improperly sealed fuel lines for the houses furnace (no joke, the moron used teflon tape on the threads to the fuel valves for his gas furnace. Guess what? it's been leaking fumes for weeks, and the moron ignored it. despite scorch marks being found on several joists and supports his wires are running over. Could have blown up his entire house, literally)

Also had staples breaking through the insulation on his wiring. Had random pipes sticking out of his main pipe lines, that aren't suited as cleanouts. (if they were y fittings, sure, but he didn't use y fittings, and you're not going to be able to use a pipe 90 degrees from the side of the main line that sticks out 4 ft)

Actually had the Fire Marshall come in, an Electrical INspector come in, a Plumbing inspector come in, and then a city general inspector. Previous home owner is going to be recieving approx $23,000 in fines for doing the work he did, and creating the hazards he's created for this house.

Family that was going to move in, cannot move in until everything is corrected.

It was discovered initially after they entered the home before moving in, went into the basement, smelled fumes, called the FD, they shut down the gas, took open one of the walls because they noticed a random pipe sticking out by the furnace and needed to identify it, found a wire with scorch marks, took open another part of the wall, found random pipe. Eventually Home Owners came in and started taking out all drywall, etc. etc. etc. uncovering this mess.

That's just the basement. After this basement is done, going to have to check the main floor, than the upstairs.

This is a classic DIY Handymen job.
Old 12-26-2011, 10:02 PM   #4
Facilities Maintenance

Quote:
Originally Posted by jproffer View Post
Most of that looks older than....well older than you.

Maybe back then, it was legal to do....I don't know, just saying maybe.

Why does it all have to be redone? I mean it's not pretty, I'll give ya that....was there an inspection that brought this on? Or does the homeowner just WANT it redone?......or what?
THis house was built in 2003......... It's not even 9 years old........

You're looking at physical damages caused by the previous home owners "Handywork"

EDIT, none of the lights, or switches are wired correctly. SOme of them just have the ground wire "hanging" in the box, unconnected to anything. Recepticles are wired in reverse. Does not have GFCI protection in any bathrooms, kitchen, garage, basement, nor outside. The previous homeowner changed them out to regular outlets "to make it look nicer".

One of the cieling fans had scorch marks no one noticed until they turned the light on in the bedroom when it was night time.

None of the breakers are labeled correctly, they operate completely different areas than what they say they work.

As far as plumbing goes, the guy had no vents installed under some of the sinks. No T fittings, no sanitary ts. Some had no p traps. None of this was discovered in the previous inspection until peopel started trying to use things.

It's going to cost approx $15,000 to redo everything.

Last edited by BigGuy01; 12-26-2011 at 10:08 PM.
Old 12-26-2011, 10:03 PM   #5
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,504

jproffer, now you have done it. Poor kid is going to go on again, about how bad it is for home owners to even be able to touch a tool, let alone should be able to purchase any supplies from Lowe's or Home Depot. Next thing you know, we are going to hear about his movement to start sit ins at Big Box building supply stores across the country, to keep the big bad homeowner from being able to purchase the goods, unless they have proof of a license.

I see nothing wrong, other than wiring that needs secured, and a junction box or two that need fixed. Other than that, nothing that can't be fixed in a Saturday in maybe 2 hours tops.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
Old 12-26-2011, 10:05 PM   #6
Retired from the grind

Bigguy, that house is probably at least 60 to 70 years old. No way was it built in 2003. Maybe remodeled last in 2003, but you are far from the age of it. And yes, you can use Teflon tape for threads on gas lines. It is just that you have to use the proper colored tape. Maybe you should pay better attention in class, than trying to act like you know everything. Even better, I can point you to a forum that has your kind in it. The type that knows more than those in the trades, or who have done this stuff for years, but love to nit pick about how bad homeowners are, and how they can not do anything correct.

Matter of fact, there is Knob & Tube in the pictures, so that dates the home into the Twenties. I did not know that K&T was used in 2003. Gee kid, where do you come up with this stuff? Also, does your parents know that you are posting pictures of their house on the Internet.

Didn't we beat you up enough last night, or did you want to come back for more. It was really nice and quiet on here all day long, but hey let the games begin and have fun Bigguy01, due to some of us have real jobs and can't stay up and play beat up the gopher.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?

Last edited by gregzoll; 12-26-2011 at 10:11 PM.
Old 12-26-2011, 10:09 PM   #7
Facilities Maintenance

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
Bigguy, that house is probably at least 60 to 70 years old. No way was it built in 2003. Maybe remodeled last in 2003, but you are far from the age of it. And yes, you can use Teflon tape for threads on gas lines. It is just that you have to use the proper colored tape. Maybe you should pay better attention in class, than trying to act like you know everything. Even better, I can point you to a forum that has your kind in it. The type that knows more than those in the trades, or who have done this stuff for years, but love to nit pick about how bad homeowners are, and how they can not do anything correct.

Didn't we beat you up enough last night, or did you want to come back for more. It was really nice and quiet on here all day long, but hey let the games begin and have fun Bigguy01, due to some of us have real jobs and can't stay up and play beat up the gopher.
Read above edit.

This house, Was built in 2003. Only one person has owned this home prior to the new home owners buying it.

This house, isn't even 9 years old....

EDIT

Title to the house, states home construction was 2003.

Last edited by BigGuy01; 12-26-2011 at 10:12 PM.
Old 12-26-2011, 10:11 PM   #8

Quote:
(no joke, the moron used teflon tape on the threads to the fuel valves for his gas furnace. Guess what? it's been leaking fumes for weeks, and the moron ignored it
There is a type of tape you can use on gas lines...apparently he didn't use that kind.

Quote:
despite scorch marks being found on several joists and supports his wires are running over.
What scorched the joists?....and I don't even know what you mean by "supports his wires are running over".
Old 12-26-2011, 10:16 PM   #9
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigGuy01 View Post
Read above edit.

This house, Was built in 2003. Only one person has owned this home prior to the new home owners buying it.

This house, isn't even 9 years old....
Boy, are you off. Do you know what Knob & Tube is? Do we need to point that out, along with the Galvanized piping, both for DWV and potable water. Kid, you really need to learn when you are in over your head, and at this time, you are drowning in that pit that filled up over night, from the hole you dug last night.

I am going to bed now, so go ahead and keep thinking about how much rope you are going to hang yourself with tonight, and I will check in at lunch time, due to I have to go to work and then come home to work on my own house. Oh wait, I better check in with you to make sure that it is okay, due to my city allows homeowners to do their own work. But maybe I will ask you to come over and show me how to measure conductance when I pull that wiring for the SABC that I still have to do for my Kitchen, along with the MWBC lighting circuit that needs to be done.

Then I still have to go up and run MC for the Attic Vent fan. BTW, since you are a wealth of knowledge, the run is about 100 feet, what size of wire do I need for it, and can I pull it up through a chase without securing it in the wall. Then on top of that, should I use a widget, or a watchmacallit to wire it up to the thingamabob.
Old 12-26-2011, 10:16 PM   #10
Facilities Maintenance

Quote:
There is a type of tape you can use on gas lines...apparently he didn't use that kind.

What scorched the joists?....and I don't even know what you mean by "supports his wires are running over".
There is specific type of teflon tape specifically rated for fuel lines. Can't remember name of it either. But it's special formulated and can only be used for fuel lines, nothing else.

And support wise, the joists wires were run over, where the moron drove staples through the insulation of the wiring, scorch marks are around some of the stables.

Some of the studs wires are run through, for some reason, out of random, the previous HO stapled wires just above the holes to run the wires through, when he could have just run them through the studs without staples. Leaving scorch marks on the studs, because of course, he drove the staples too far into the wired.

We have no idea how this house hasn't burned down. May have to rewire the entire house, and not just the basement.
Old 12-26-2011, 10:16 PM   #11

Quote:
jproffer, now you have done it. Poor kid is going to go on again, about how bad it is for home owners to even be able to touch a tool, let alone should be able to purchase any supplies from Lowe's or Home Depot. Next thing you know, we are going to hear about his movement to start sit ins at Big Box building supply stores across the country, to keep the big bad homeowner from being able to purchase the goods, unless they have proof of a license.

Got tired of hearing about fantasy math theory and false military information....it was time to move on
Old 12-26-2011, 10:19 PM   #12
Facilities Maintenance

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
Boy, are you off. Do you know what Knob & Tube is? Do we need to point that out, along with the Galvanized piping, both for DWV and potable water. Kid, you really need to learn when you are in over your head, and at this time, you are drowning in that pit that filled up over night, from the hole you dug last night.

I am going to bed now, so go ahead and keep thinking about how much rope you are going to hang yourself with tonight, and I will check in at lunch time, due to I have to go to work and then come home to work on my own house. Oh wait, I better check in with you to make sure that it is okay, due to my city allows homeowners to do their own work. But maybe I will ask you to come over and show me how to measure conductance when I pull that wiring for the SABC that I still have to do for my Kitchen, along with the MWBC lighting circuit that needs to be done.

Then I still have to go up and run MC for the Attic Vent fan. BTW, since you are a wealth of knowledge, the run is about 100 feet, what size of wire do I need for it, and can I pull it up through a chase without securing it in the wall. Then on top of that, should I use a widget, or a watchmacallit to wire it up to the thingamabob.
That's not galvinized pipe, that's scorched ABS, with painted brass fittings on the ends. (No joke)

previous homeowner also used pieces of glued rubber and cardboard to stuff in random fittings before soldering on pieces of plastic and painting them.
Old 12-26-2011, 10:19 PM   #13
Retired from the grind

Quote:

Got tired of hearing about fantasy math theory and false military information....it was time to move on
Hey, look at it in this aspect, at least he helped push my posting numbers over 5k. Maybe he can help to get me to 10k by this next weekend, if I am sober enough after three nights of celebrating the New Year, as long as it does not snow here. Tonight we are getting sleet mixed with rain. And in time, due to had to get the front brakes replaced on the wife's van. Next week is my Trailblazer brakes, hopefully not all sets.
Old 12-26-2011, 10:20 PM   #14
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,324

Looks like knob and tube in the first picture.
It also looks like galvonized pipe that is clogged.
No way this house is fromm 2003.

Last edited by jbfan; 12-26-2011 at 10:22 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jbfan For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (12-26-2011), kwikfishron (12-26-2011), oh'mike (12-27-2011)
Old 12-26-2011, 10:21 PM   #15

Quote:
the joists wires were run over
you use WIRES to hold up joists in WA?

Quote:
Some of the studs wires are run through, for some reason, out of random, the previous HO stapled wires just above the holes to run the wires through, when he could have just run them through the studs without staples.
There's nothing wrong with supporting your wiring even when going through studs. Just because you don't have to, doesn't mean you can't or shouldn't.

Quote:
he drove the staples too far into the wired
OK, I'll give ya that one.......that's not good, but it is fixable without rewiring the whole house.....

What's wrong with the plumbing??

Advertisement

Closed Thread