Types Of Foundation Repair, Which One?! - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-02-2009, 04:50 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Types of foundation repair, which one?!

I've got some cracks in my tile which have been slowly spreading, especially after this hot dry summer we just had in houston. I've called two reputable companies, each of whom use different methods.

Company A - uses something like cablelock, using helical piers and then locking them together with the cable. They claim they won't shift up or down using this method, but I've heard it can still shift side to side and sometimes break the concrete pier, in which case another pier would need to be placed.

Company B - uses piers with a solid steel core, and claim they won't shift side to side. also claim their system goes deeper than company a's into more stable soil. Of course the con to this is that i've heard these aren't protected from shifting up or down. This company actually used to install cablelock and stopped in favor of this system (which, of course, they say is better).

Both carry lifetime warranties, which i would rather not have to use, and are priced basically the same, but which one is better?

Advertisement

bigburb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 06:18 PM   #2
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 2,190

This is a rather curious post. You start out by stating that you have cracks in your tile. You then go on to describe two different methods of fixing a FOUNDATION. You left out the part where you reached the conclusion that the cracks in your tile were caused by a foundation that is moving, presumably due to expansive soil.

Before asking for opinions on the better technique to fix a foundation, perhaps you could describe the reasons why you believe that the cracked tiles are due to foundation failure, and why you want to spend many thousands of dollars fixing the foundation . Normally, determination of foundation failure follows a comprehensive examination of the house, the foundation, and the lot. Selection of an appropriate technique normally follows a geotechnical evaluation of the soil at your house. If you have not had this done yet, you may wish to consider such an investigation before spending hard money on a fix.

Advertisement

Daniel Holzman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 07:16 PM   #3

OK, i didn't figure i would get a response so hostile.

i have cracks in my brickwork, the expansion joints in my brick is larger at the top than it is at the bottom, and the sealant is pulling apart, i also have cracks in my drywall in the same area of the house, along with a visible crack in the slab in the master bathroom, that heads in the same direction as the crack in the other bathroom. is that enough reason for you?
Old 10-02-2009, 10:31 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,470

being blunt & direct isn't ' hostile ' whereas the fine folks you probably talk'd w/were salesmen 1st then mechanics 2nd,,, personally, i'm on his side of the field having just seen acme anchors installed in a home 5yrs ago to resolve a leaky cove in the bsmt,,, think i'd find a pe who's also got some experience in soil engineering.

if the crk's larger at the top than the btm, it'd seem force is coming UP, not the footer dropping.

Last edited by stadry; 10-03-2009 at 05:19 AM.
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 03:53 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 500

I think that the key point made by Daniel was that it depends on the ground conditions as to which method of piling is the best. To be fair to him I think that he was being direct rather than hostile. I would say this is being hostile.
http://www.diynot.com/forums/viewtop...p=1327836#1327
stuart45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 09:53 AM   #6

sorry for expressing my opinion of how i felt he was addressing me, i like to think i'm a pretty smart person. I called the foundation companies out because this problem has been getting worse for the past 2 years. I already know my house sits on unstable soil because other parts of the house had piers installed before i moved in, and just about every other house in my neighborhood has had foundation work as well.

as for the soil type, most of what houston sits on is expansive clay, for about 6 to 10 feet underground.
Old 10-03-2009, 09:57 AM   #7
Concrete & Masonry

Rewards Points: 2,144

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuart45 View Post
I think that the key point made by Daniel was that it depends on the ground conditions as to which method of piling is the best. To be fair to him I think that he was being direct rather than hostile. I would say this is being hostile.
http://www.diynot.com/forums/viewtop...p=1327836#1327

I can't tell with their lingo if that's hostile or not!?
Thanks for the link, though stuart, I think I may have found a few new phrases!

And, I don't think Daniel was being hostile to the OP either. He doesn't discriminate, he just tells everyone they need an engineer.
jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 10:52 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomama45 View Post
Thanks for the link, though stuart, I think I may have found a few new phrases!

Be careful jomama, you don't want to go on site sounding like a Limey do yer
biburb,
Your soil is probably what we call shrinkable clay( we drive on left as well). The type of piling that we use for this is either a longer pile with steel reinforcement well into stable ground to resist the upward force of the swelling clay. Another option is a shorter pile which has a bitumen or polythene sleeve to reduce friction between the clay and the sleeve. A collapsable layer such as insulation boards is placed under the ground beam. The collapsable layer is also at the sides to prevent lateral expansion. Our technology is usually about 20 years behind yours so I would expect your contractors to have better methods to deal with the problem.
Old 10-03-2009, 12:52 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuart45 View Post
Be careful jomama, you don't want to go on site sounding like a Limey do yer
biburb,
Your soil is probably what we call shrinkable clay( we drive on left as well). The type of piling that we use for this is either a longer pile with steel reinforcement well into stable ground to resist the upward force of the swelling clay. Another option is a shorter pile which has a bitumen or polythene sleeve to reduce friction between the clay and the sleeve. A collapsable layer such as insulation boards is placed under the ground beam. The collapsable layer is also at the sides to prevent lateral expansion. Our technology is usually about 20 years behind yours so I would expect your contractors to have better methods to deal with the problem.
Thank you!
Old 10-03-2009, 02:18 PM   #10
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 2,190

In no way was I trying to be hostile. I simply did not understand how you jumped from cracks in your tile to needing a foundation repair. Now that you have offered some additional information, it seems likely you have foundation issues associated with expansive clay, as previously noted by other posters. As for the best solution, that is a very complex issue, made more so by the large number of alternatives available, price differences, warranty availability, and specific conditions at your site.

I have designed repairs using helical anchors which worked very well. I have seen repairs done using steel piles, inserted through the foundation, which also worked well. I have seen mudjacking projects that have worked, and some that have failed. The success of a technique depends heavily on the capability of the contractor, their familiarity with the method, the soil conditions at your site, the groundwater conditions at your site, and the structural design and condition of your house. All of which should be carefully investigated by a local professional before you select a method. Any contractor who claims to know in advance what is the best technique for your site, prior to a complete site investigation, in my opinion is simply blowing smoke.
Daniel Holzman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 03:19 PM   #11

Thanks, I will try to be careful choosing a company, I have another company coming out on monday, so we'll see what they say.
Old 10-06-2009, 09:10 PM   #12

OK now I'm really confused, company a (Oh I'll just say it, Olshan), says I need 18 piers at a total cost of $9900 around the entire southern and western perimeter of my house. this guy actually went around and took elevation readings and said those areas of the house are more than an inch below his reference point (middle of living room, which is in the middle of the house).

company b (atlas foundation) did not take any elevation readings, and pretty much just wants 6 piers at a total cost of $3000 to fix the area of concern where the cracks in the tile and sheetrock are.

i can't help but think olshan's ripping me off, but the un-scientificness of atlas makes me doubt them too. i think i am going to hire an engineer to look into it.
Old 10-07-2009, 01:07 AM   #13

Having an independant view from an SE is usually the best approach with any major work like this. BTW isn't subsidence covered by your home insurance in Texas?
Old 10-07-2009, 07:35 AM   #14

i'll have to check, but i think any insurance company would be crazy to cover it, considering how often it happens.
Old 10-07-2009, 08:13 PM   #15

I talked to the SE on the phone who inspected my home two and a half years ago and he just said put a soaker hose out. he said every foundation company is going to want to sell you some piers.

Advertisement