Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-11-2013, 01:55 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 156

Type of wood for soffit/fascia

Hello, I need to replace a board on my soffit/fascia. It is the angle piece on the end that I need to replace. Is there certain wood to use for that piece? I read that plywood might soak up water if it gets wet. i will be painting the one I replace.

I put a link on here to show what I am talking about. This is not my house, just an example of the piece I need to replace.

http://www.capstonebros.com/soffit-fascia

jburchill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 02:22 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,470

For painting and retaining paint Poplar would be my choice.

SeniorSitizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 03:24 PM   #3

Is that more of a specialty wood? I'm looking to go to home depot or lowes or something and get something.
Old 07-11-2013, 03:53 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 250

Poplar is popular at HD & Lowe's
RoyalAcresRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 04:37 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,470

As with any wood for painting we would like to have quarter sawed when possible. Poplar often lacks visible grain that makes cut identification as possible as other woods. Example: Yellow Pine, so try to avoid any lumber with a cup. Cupped Poplar is usually plain sawed.
SeniorSitizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 04:55 PM   #6
Framing Contractor

Rewards Points: 508

Pvc trim is probably your best option. It will look just like wood, and even comes in sizes that match dimensional lumber. It will never rot, is easy to work with and accepts paint nicely.
sixeightten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 06:59 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 75

I'd go for HD & Lowe'.
roofingquotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 09:13 AM   #8

I put another pic of the piece i am replacing..Not sure from the original link i posted if there was some confustion.. I am replacing the triangle piece. I would like to keep it with wood, since the rest of them on the house are wood.
Attached Thumbnails
Type of wood for soffit/fascia-untitled.jpg  
Old 07-12-2013, 09:56 AM   #9
AHH, SPANS!!!

Rewards Points: 1,032

you'll have to measure down from the underside of gable/rake fascia at the same plane of the roof pitch down to the lowest point of the gable corner soffit return to determine what size board you will need. do not use plywood as that will sponge and de lam. if the return is larger than 1x10 you will have to build it in two pieces or use cpvc 1x12 to get the cut. about $60 for a 12' piece at the box stores...

you can cut the piece square first a little longer than needed and hold it up there butted to the bottom of the rake fascia and use a 2' level to find the bottom level section that is level with the underside of the fascia where the return starts and scribe it with a pencil and then for the plumb section scribe the backside of your piece where the return goes back to the wall, I always add 3/8" or 1/2" past the that point to allow a reveal on the backside of your return.

Also, after you have scribed it and it is ready but before you nail it on make sure the spacing from the back side of your piece to the wood framing is accurate. you might have to put a few shims behind there to keep it consecutive so your piece sits tight and flush to the front bottom edge of the rake fascia. nail up through your piece to the rake fascia at the outer points first- vertically up through and then nail the face of it, this helps keep it lined up with the rake fascia too.

Last edited by hand drive; 07-12-2013 at 10:03 AM.
hand drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 09:05 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 1,002

You should update your profile so we know where you are located. Around here in northern Ohio, pine and poplar don't hold up well for outdoor use, even when painted. Redwood or cedar for house trim if you want to stick with wood. Both hold paint well if prepped properly, and are rot resistant. I don't think the box stores carry redwood, but they do have cedar up to a 1 x 12. If you have a real lumberyard in your area, they should have redwood.
Mike Hawkins

firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote