Which Type Of Base For A New Shed? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-16-2010, 01:26 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Which type of base for a new shed?

For my very 1st post I'm looking for some advice on which choice of shed base to build for this shed.

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...61&marketID=15

and this is the type of rock I'm working on. Whoever designed the backyard before my inlaws bought the place decided there should be no grass. The entire backyard not counting the deck & concrete around the pool is that rock.

The instructions give 3 options - solid concrete, wooden structure, or wood frame filled with pea gravel. I would think the pea gravel option is best but I'd like advice from those who have more experience as this is a new project to me. I figured the gravel w/ frame would work because there's already rock, and I would need less gravel if there was already rock within the frame. The gravel would also fill in some of the gap between the rock underneath. The shed floor has drain holes in it

Thanks!
-Randy

Advertisement

Randy2310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 02:56 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Some bases trigger tax issues. Sometimes the size of the building does the same. Check it out before you commit.
Ron

Advertisement

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 03:23 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

Pea gravel is usually 3/8 to 1/4 inch in size.
That looks like bigger than Pea gravel. Might be Texas Pea gravel???
jlhaslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 04:19 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlhaslip View Post
Pea gravel is usually 3/8 to 1/4 inch in size.
That looks like bigger than Pea gravel. Might be Texas Pea gravel???
No the rocks in the picture are same type as the landscape of the backyard. There's NO grass/green. The entire yard is those white rocks. That's why I thought the pea gravel filled base would be the best of 3 because if the wood frame has those rocks inside the border the pea gravel would fill it in the rest of the way and I'd need less gravel
Randy2310 is offline   Reply With Quote