Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-15-2009, 11:29 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |
Tying in a 2"x4" walled-booth with a cinder block wall

Hello all,

I work for a High School with an auditorium made with cinder block walls. The school has decided to put me in charge of constructing a new sound booth to house all of the sound/lighting controls and accessories. Now, I'm no stranger to carpentry, but I have three questions, but before I get to those, let me give you a little background.

The sound booth is going to be a few 4' 2"x4" wall frames topped off with a 2"x6" floor frame topped off with a another 2"x4" wall. This booth is to be butted up against two cinder block walls. Above is a suspended ceiling.

Now to the questions. First of all, I need to know how to best secure the booth to the cinder block walls (or if that is necessary) and how to secure it to the concrete floor (covered in linoleum floor tiles). Third question is how should I best secure the upper side of the booth?

The current booth is secured to the wall, (Not sure exactly how) and is freestanding in terms of upper security. It meets the suspended ceiling, but secured in no way other than to the other walls and the floor. So how much security is needed or is it needed?

Any help would be absolutely fantastic! Thanks in advance!

(I'll to my best to get a sketch up soon!)

johnofthemount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 08:13 AM   #2
Master General ReEngineer

Quote:
First of all, I need to know how to best secure the booth to the cinder block walls (or if that is necessary) and how to secure it to the concrete floor (covered in linoleum floor tiles). Third question is how should I best secure the upper side of the booth?
Ayuh,... I'd think Tap-cons would be the answer to securing it to the concrete,+ the cinderblocks...
Ditto to the upper section, as well as securing it to it's base...

Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 02:33 PM   #3

Bump please! Tapcons are surprisingly simple, but the thing is, I have nothing to secure the upper walls to becuase they are defaulting to a suspended ceiling...
johnofthemount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 02:51 PM   #4
Drywall contractor

Why not frame out of metal studs?? You can screw them directly to the grid as is done in lease spaces so the walls can be removes later. You can shoot them to the block with the appropriate loads and pins with a powder actuated tool (I personally would use some adhesive also). Depending on the wall height you might need to order a heavier gauge stud than HD or Lowes sells from a drywall supply. You can get appropriate gauge for your floor joists also......