Two Questions On Setting Trusses - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-18-2009, 04:39 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Two questions on setting trusses

I am about to install a new porch on the side of my house this weekend. I have all the trusses modified and all the posts and beams set. I am lost a little bit in two areas, the rest I believe I can handle.

1. How do I fasten the bottom of the trusses to my existing roof? I am building a gable roof off the side of my existing roof and some of the trusses will be on the existing roof. Since the roof is at a pitch, how do I fasten them to the existing. I know I have to put hurricane straps thru the roof and onto the existing trusses, but those don't seem like they are really that strong. I also realize the Plywood will hold it all together better once that is in place. I attached a photo of what I made to kinda have and idea.

2. How do I tie the new shingle into the old shingle at the two valleys I will creat? My dad thinks if I cut the shingles along the valley and slide the new ones up underneath that would do the trick??

**edit: I guess you have to rotate all the pdfs counterclockwise**
Attached Files
File Type: pdf CrossSection.pdf (17.1 KB, 75 views)
File Type: pdf Elevation.pdf (3.6 KB, 66 views)
File Type: pdf fastening.pdf (1.6 KB, 60 views)

Advertisement

GatorsUF83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 06:19 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,032

Two questions on setting trusses

Install the special trusses as per manufacturer's instructions. This may be adding a full length nailer behind the angled bottom chord trusses or special hardware. It is on the paperwork supplied with the trusses.

You remove roofing back from the valley to install valley blocking between trusses, as per plans. Then install ply, metal valley or weave or cut valley shingles after building paper or Grace material.
Be safe, Gary

Advertisement