Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-27-2012, 09:47 PM   #1

Share |

Two piece ledger board for attached pergola, bad idea?

Hello everyone, new poster here with what looks like a common question but I didn't see an answer for my exact situation. I searched and spent time reading all ledger posts back to 2009 and didn't find the "perfect" match for my situation, so here it is.

I've got a brick two story house that I want to put a pergola behind. The house already has a concrete pad that has odd dimensions (a jut out for a grill and an odd shaped inset where the door is. I have tried to figure out a good way to put a 4 post pergola, but it will either be in front of the door or in front of a window and spaced off the house a good bit. So I think I can attach it to the house with a ledger board, the only issue is the fireplace.

The dimensions of the planned pergola will be 12'x10' with the 12' being the side parallel to the house, and going 10' out from the house. Planning on going all cedar and the two posts being 6x6x10 and anchored to the pad. The ledger hast to be roughly 10' up in order to clear a window. So here is the mental picture. Facing the house we want a 12' ledger across the house that is 10 feet off the ground. On the left side we have our back door and on the right side we have the window. In the middle is our chimney, also brick, that divides the two and sticks out about 2'. So I can't put a solid ledger.

Considering this is only 12' wide, I was wondering if I could use two different ledgers. Basically I would have one over the door that the left side headers would come out away from the house and then over the window would be another ledger. Getting them perfectly level with each other is not an issue, and each ledger could easily be 3' wide even though only two 2x6x11 (would like a 1' hangover, maybe 2') spaced 5" apart will be attached to each. That would leave me room to trim the edges for a better look.

I promise I will wrap this up, but I read about the pilasters. Those may not be an option. Over the door, no issue. But the top of the window is roughly 8'-9' off the ground. I really don't want the runners any higher than 10'. So would I have room for a vertical board to be put up there rather than my horizontal idea?

Hope everyone made it through this novel and I appreciate any help in advance.

TexasMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 09:54 PM   #2

No one here has ESP that I know of. Post a pictue.
Make it free standing and not have to deal with water leaks causing wall damage.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 08:10 AM   #3
Civil Engineer

I think Joe has a good idea about eliminating the ledger board. Ledgers are commonly used on decks because they provide strong lateral bracing, which is important when you walk on a deck. But your pergola presumably has no roof, and has much less load than a deck, so you should be able to build it without a ledger board, which would save you a lot of trouble.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 12:40 PM   #4

I know the weight of a pergola is not great, but I would not install a ledger board into the brick. could cause cracking/crumbling of brick in future by allowing a means of water penetration.

FYI, ledgers anchored into brick is not allowed for decks.
GBrackins is online now   Reply With Quote