Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-02-2009, 01:50 AM   #1

Share |

Two layer basement?? Plossible on a budget?

Hey guys this is my first post, and i'll try to be straight to the point.

I live in Kansas, I have never owned a home before, and I am mulling over the idea of building a house. I am considering practically all options. "Green" homes, built into the sides of hills, or underground, particularly interest me. On the other hand, I wanted to build a limestone castle at one point. (Just to demonstrate my interests and considerations).

I am overly ambitious at times. I was seriously considering the castle idea, but the limestone and labor would kill me cost wise. I also liked the idea of a deep underground basement, possibly two basements, one on-top of the other. Maybe with a house above that? Why not through some secret passages in with the mix?? lol

Ok well you see my point is, I am very interested in building "something". But I have no experience, and this would be my first home. I want to know if something like "could" be done cheaply. Is it "possible" to do an underground "bunker" like structure, or perhaps even a castle, at a reasonable price (100,000 or less)????. Or is this idea completely out of the realm of possibility? Even if I did the work myself?

Urban_explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 05:15 AM   #2
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

that's a tough one, I have clients spend that much on kitchen remodels, I personally can't see it. BOB

buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 07:28 AM   #3

All you need is land and a shovel. Should be really cheap. Post pictures when you're done.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 07:36 AM   #4
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

The only really important thing to remember about building green is that it also means spending a ton of green.

Depart from conventionality in almost any way, and your costs begin to soar unbelievably. Truly unbeleivably!
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 08:01 AM   #5
the Musigician

then again......

http://www.green-trust.org/strawbale.htm

DM
Old 03-02-2009, 08:26 AM   #6
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

Ouch! That's frightening. I notice the boy is from Canada. Not too many places here in the lower 48 you could get away with that.

Here in Florida, it's not uncommon to have $20,000 to $30,000 in nothing but code compliance components and labor to install them. And in high-end homes that cost escalates dramatically.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 09:46 AM   #7

Buy one of those old underground missle sites out in Kansas. You'd have a really nice deep huge basement. Finish out new areas as you need the space. It's already been done by a few folks.
jogr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 12:09 PM   #8
Kyle Emerick

Anything is possible, however if this is done to code and safe, it is hard to believe it would only cost $100k.
Old 03-02-2009, 12:49 PM   #9

Dorothy approves underground as being safer
Anything is possible
Land is what may cost you $$ depending upon location
I've have seen an underground structure built out mid-west that was along the lines of what you are thinking of
Not sure what the cost was
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 12:58 PM   #10
the Musigician

then there's the guy selling his house-built-in-a-cave on e-bay..... starting bid is i think 300,000

DM
Old 03-03-2009, 07:25 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jogr View Post
Buy one of those old underground missle sites out in Kansas. You'd have a really nice deep huge basement. Finish out new areas as you need the space. It's already been done by a few folks.

You know, I actually considered this? I did some reading on those silos you speak of, I actually want to go out and visit this old abandoned one sometime. Its only about an hour and a half from here. The ones that are in livable condition, and are for sale, go for millions. At least the ones I looked at. The lowest one I saw was in the hundred thousands, and it was flooded, and the entrance collapsed.
Urban_explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 10:23 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_explorer View Post
The lowest one I saw was in the hundred thousands, and it was flooded, and the entrance collapsed.
If you're a realtor you call that a "Fixer Upper in need of a little TLC"

They use to be very cheap.
jogr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 06:47 PM   #13

It's a noble idea, but remember that unless you live in it forever, you need to consider resale. Building a dungeon tends to limit your market a little bit. Also, you won't get too far on $100k. The deeper you go with a basement, the more expensive it gets. The walls will have a lot more soil pressure which will require thicker walls with more reinforcing. Code would probably prohibit bedrooms below grade unless you had egress windows and a minimum percentage of natural light.