Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-27-2012, 08:29 AM   #1

Share |

Two Diagonal Bracing Questions

I am adding some diagonal bracing to a second story deck, as it is defininitely swaying side to side when I try to make it move.

The deck is attatched to the house on one side. The far side has 3 4x6 posts. The beam is made up of two 2x12 lag bolted and sandwitched on either side of the posts (Yes, I know that may not be the best way, but must have been ok when the deck was built in 1992).

My question is, if I come off of the 4x6 post with another 4x6 cut at a 45 degree angle, can I insert the beam contact end between the 2x12s, and lag bolt there, instead of comming off of the front of the post, and bolting to either the front or rear of the beam? Will this give the same result?

Second question, can I use ledger lock screws (I have some 10" left), to attatch the bracing to the post, or are lag bolts required?

kaalapurushha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 08:40 AM   #2

Sure would be clearer if you could post a picture.
Through bolts (carrage bolts" are far stronger then lags.

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 09:30 AM   #3

Doesn't sound like a bad approach, though I would certainly check your local codes first...
Old 06-27-2012, 09:39 AM   #4

Here are my two options, and a top view of the setup.

Option 1 has the bracing between the 2x12s, and option 2 has the bracing on either side. With option 2, I would have to notch the bracing to fit over the 2x12.

All of the bracing examples I have seen have showed the bracing on either side of the beam, but with the setup I have, I am concerned about this.

As for the carriage bolts, would having a bolted connection at a 45 degree angle be a problem? When connecting the beam to the bracing, one side would be at a 45 degree angle to the bolt in option 1.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Bracing.PDF (73.5 KB, 98 views)
Old 06-27-2012, 01:20 PM   #5

It isn't clear how you would fix the bracing to the posts; this connection is just as important as the connection to the beam.
Structurally, option 2 would give better triangulation and hence rigidity.
tony.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 02:00 PM   #6

How far out does the deck come out from the house? How long is the deck? Deck dimensions please. Thanks.
CopperClad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 10:13 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony.g View Post
It isn't clear how you would fix the bracing to the posts; this connection is just as important as the connection to the beam.
Structurally, option 2 would give better triangulation and hence rigidity.

That was my second question. If I use carriage bolts, one side of the bolt would be at a 45 degree angle to the wood, which I am not sure is allowable. I could also use ledger lock screws

The deck is 14' long by 13' wide, and about 14 feet off of the ground
Old 06-28-2012, 03:38 PM   #8

The joint between the diagonal brace and the post will be a pig to make secure.
Whatever fixings you use, the mitre at the post-end of the brace will eventually shrink, curl, twist slightly and pull away from the post. As you suggest, your code would probably not allow bolting at an angle anyway.
As an alternative, could you get some steel plate and make a knee brace as per sketch? It could be fitted on the inside, out of view. Wouldn't be perfect but would give some rigidity to the joint. But check Code first.
Attached Thumbnails
Two Diagonal Bracing Questions-mini-scan0103.jpg  
tony.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 03:43 PM   #9

You could try diagonal bracing the underside of the deck. Screw the brace into each joist and it will tighten the deck up pretty good. If that doesn't solve it, then mess with the post and beam.
Old 06-28-2012, 05:47 PM   #10

I would just use one of these.. http://www.strongtie.com/products/co...rl_masonry.asp .. Use the HUC46 model. You would attach it to your post first. Cut your 4x6 diagonal brace on point to point 45degree angles, then on the bottom side that will be hitting the post square across 2 inches and cut it flat so it is sitting on the hanger. Then like you said, the top will go in between your 2x12 and bolt all 3 pieces together. good luck !
CopperClad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 06:09 PM   #11
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

Why are you bothering to make an "X" out of the bracing? This will give you either shorter bracing than a single brace on each post, or a more ineffectual angle. Besides looking as cumbersome as all get out. Coming from each end of the deck, put in one angle at each post, slanted toward the middle.

And, as Tony says, you need better fastening at the posts.

Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote