Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-09-2012, 11:01 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Turning my 2 family house to a 3 family house

HI,
I own a two family house with huge basement, I was told that my house can be turned to a 3 family house because it meets the first requirement which is the basement is half way above the ground.
I looked around and found out that 2 houses around me and in the same block actually have a fire stairs and have their basement dug to be leveled with the street, which means they got it legalized as 3 family house. does any one know what are the right steps to do that and to do that with the least possible cost??
The house is in NY queens
Thanks guys
Rasha

RashaAmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 01:00 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RashaAmin View Post
HI,
I own a two family house with huge basement, I was told that my house can be turned to a 3 family house because it meets the first requirement which is the basement is half way above the ground.
I looked around and found out that 2 houses around me and in the same block actually have a fire stairs and have their basement dug to be leveled with the street, which means they got it legalized as 3 family house. does any one know what are the right steps to do that and to do that with the least possible cost??
The house is in NY queens
Thanks guys
Rasha

Sure,contact your local building department.

Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 02:00 PM   #3

+1 on Canarywood1

To expand a little on what you'll be doing at the building department: You'll be inquiring about a permit for starters, but you'll also need to define whether the utilities will need to be split and metered seperately, fire separations between tenants, parking requirements, emergency egress, zoning applications (if needed), etc.

I know you're in NYC, but here in CT alot of code changes when you go from two family (duplex home) to a three family. The third "residence" essentially turns it into an apartment building rather than a residential home. That makes the electrical, plumbing, fire protection, mechanical, and structural aspects of the building come into a whole different set of codes and requirements.

Don't want to scare you, just giving you a heads up on the kind of topics that may be presented to you at the building department.
mae-ling (07-09-2012)
Old 07-09-2012, 09:25 PM   #4

Thanks a lot. I actually thought about the permits but didnt really think about the other stuff you mentioned. I will have to consult with am architect office for an estimate. All what I hope for is that all these steps to be handled by someone who knows so that I won't fall in any mistake costing me fees or penalties.
RashaAmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 09:53 AM   #5
DIY-er

Happy to hear that you will be going to the building department to see what the requirements are.

I also recommend getting a Building Permit for any renovation that you do. Did you hear recently about the home that collapsed in Toronto while the contractors were underpinning it to dig out the basement?

Here's a link explaining the importance of a building permit .....

http://www.home-additions-startup-gu...quirement.html
KevinPh is offline   Reply With Quote