Turning A Garage Into Master Suite - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-26-2008, 10:07 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Turning a garage into Master Suite

We are considering converting our garage (which is on a slab) into a master suite and bath. The home is all brick and on a crawl space. The garage shares a wall with a downstairs bedroom. We'd like to remove the wall and create a crawl space over the gargage floor and tap into water and sewer lines under the existing crawl space. How diffucult of a conversion is this and how hard would it be to build the crawl space ect......?

Any suggestions would help. Plan on doing as much of the work as possible and sub out the work I can not do. Thanks

Advertisement

kettles1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 10:16 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Welcome to the site Kettles1998.

You're talking about a MAJOR project, you know. Creating a framed floor system in the garage isn't such a challenge, but you'd definately have to heat and cool the crawlspace under the floor with the home's HVAC system. It would be a code requirement to do that, and would prevent the pipes from freezing as well. You'd also have to devise a way to get access under the crawlspace as well.

Other than that, there's window installation, dealing with bearing walls, filling in the former garage door opening, wiring, addition of interlaced smoke detector, and a number of other things.

This is a big project. I wouldn't suggest diving into it unless you've very experienced with doing this type of work.

It will probably also hurt your home's value to remove the garage.

Advertisement

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 10:22 PM   #3
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

Rewards Points: 1,000

Are you filing for a building permit? If so you will have to hire a draftsmen and have them stamped by an engineer. If you have a bit more money then go with an architect. this way you will see some section views on the construction. I can't give much advice if I can't see what your up against. I know some towns will not let you convert your existing garage unless you build a replacement. at least here!.
buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 09:16 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

We would definelty pull a permit and plan on consulting w/ an architect. I can do the finish work (flooring, bath, shower, lighting, installation ect...)
Would like to sub out the plumbing to existing system, crawl space, garage enclosing ect... Would $20,000 be a reasonable budget?
kettles1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 09:31 PM   #5
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by kettles1998 View Post
We would definelty pull a permit and plan on consulting w/ an architect. I can do the finish work (flooring, bath, shower, lighting, installation ect...)
Would like to sub out the plumbing to existing system, crawl space, garage enclosing ect... Would $20,000 be a reasonable budget?

wood $20,000 be reasonable.
We can't answer that, each job is unique with in its self. there could be conditions that could have to be dealt with before you even get started that you might not see. All tho a good architect should be able to spot. but don't count on it, these are things you will find out buy being your own general contractor. some customers said they will never do it again because it almost cost there marriage, where a few said they loved it.
Once you get you preliminary drawings start getting you estimate from your subs, then you'll see where you are at. good lock with your decision BOB
buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote