Turning Concrete-slab Porch Into Mudroom - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-25-2015, 10:51 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 240

turning concrete-slab porch into mudroom

Our porch has a concrete slab (with flagstones, but there's an apron of clear concrete around the slab perimeter). The porch is open on two sides as in the attached sketch (sorry for its crudeness; it's not to scale, and I haven't taken the time to learn SketchUp except for some rudimentary stuff).

There is already a roof sitting on three decorative wrought-iron pillars at front left, front right, and rear-right corners. The roof and wrought-iron supports are not shown.

I'd like to enclose the porch, and make it into a sort of mudroom/buffer-zone so that we don't loose so much heat when the door is opened. In general, what kind of things do I need to do to make the walls water-tight?

Can the sole plate be anchored directly to the concrete slab and the studs directly against the brick, or is some sort of water or vapor barrier needed between them?
Attached Thumbnails
turning concrete-slab porch into mudroom-frontporch.jpg  

Advertisement

diy888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 12:45 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 340

you would use sill seal be sure to use pressure treated lumber against the concrete and brick
http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...la=pla_8186163

Advertisement

Mingledtrash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 06:21 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 240

Thanks for that info and link.
diy888 is offline   Reply With Quote