Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-02-2011, 01:53 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Tuckpoint and other repairs to cinder block foundation before painting

I'm getting ready to repaint my cinder block foundation. There are some spots where the tuckpointing has deteriorated a bit (Is it called tuckpointing with concrete block?). It appears to be mostly superficial but there are a few spots were it's deeper and even a couple small holes. There's also one block that's cracked pretty good. It's possible I did that when I was knocking out the original windows. The interior is in good condition.

Should I repair everything accross the board with mortar or do I need to do something special to fill the holes or crack. Can I get away with using a mortar repair caulk? ...How abot just in the more superficial areas? Is that stuff even easier to use than real mortar?

Ptron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 02:40 PM   #2

Mortar repair caulk that we sell at our stores (Quikrete brand) can only be painted with latex paints.

http://www.quikrete.com/PDFs/DATA_SH...air%208620.pdf

I think you are better of gently pressure washing the area and tuck pointing with traditional mortar mix.

You can use a grout bag and achieve better results with mortar than using an acrylic caulk (mortar repair caulk).

I would say that is a settling crack being that it extends above the damaged block...

See what other members got to say...

SteelToes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 04:43 PM   #3

Thanks. I pressure washed the foundation yesterday to remove the loose paint. The joints stood up to the assault and and now that they're more exposed, their issues look to indeed be mostly superficial. I'll fix them with traditional mortar mix per your suggestion.

My bigger concern now is the cracks. There are both small ones like the first picture and big ones like the second picture. There are few big ones and they are all around the windows. I may have caused them when I took out the original cemented in windows with big hammers and chisels and a big hammer drill. They're worst around the windows I did first, before a developed a gentler technique. I might be able to chisel these to a deep v and fix them with mortar if that's a good idea.

The smaller ones are really hair cracks. I wonder if it's ok just to caulk these with polyurethane or something? Some of them were hardly visible under pretty old paint so I don't think they're getting worse anymore.
Ptron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 10:33 AM   #4

Well if the crack its deep and needs to be addressed you would open it up so you can get the mortar in between.

Fill the cracks in and wait for an about 20-25 minutes... re wet the mortar gently with a brush and smooth out with a piece of white packaging foam in a circular motion so it blends in with surrounding blocks.

For the small hairline cracks up to 1/4" i would recommend SIKA Mortar Fix

http://usa.sika.com/en/solutions_pro...a024sa011.html
Attached Images

SteelToes is offline   Reply With Quote