Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-24-2009, 07:27 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Tucking, filling in mortar sub-freezing temps

I have a stone home which is currently being re-roofed. The area where the copper counterflashing is getting installed needs some tucking, filling and general mortar surface repair before the guy can make his reglet to insert the counterflashing. This came as a surprise and I need to do the work asap in the cold.
After reading I am concerned about adding calcium chloride admixtures - will that have any effect on the copper - should i be concerned? Unfortunately it looks like I will have to do the work this weekend - so no ability anything else or should I just do the work with heated materials and bag the admixture.

mlupa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 08:10 PM   #2

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Rewards Points: 14

Your contractor should be required to do the work and guarantee his work (in writing). He is supposedly the expert doing the work and you should not be involved in the work since your work would eliminate his liability/guarantee.

You chimney or stone will not be very warm, despite what the air temperatures are. If he forces you to do the work, make sure that he accepts what you have done and as being acceptable and not voiding a guarantee. - Most roofing leak problems come from lack or knowledge or ability on behalf of the roofer when it comes to leaks and damage.

If he does not agree, do not pay until it is done to your satisfaction.

Dick

concretemasonry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 09:40 PM   #3

I am not concerned about who is liable - my roofer and I are in this together - that is the way I treat all of my contractors - you win some you lose some, but I work on trust. The roofer could not have kbown about the deteriorated stone until he removed the old lead flashing. Our options are fix the stone or put the reglet way up over the area of concern which results in too much copper flashing. We decided to fix the stone - so back to my original question...but thanks for the concern/advice...
Old 01-25-2009, 05:46 AM   #4

we used ' anti-hydro ' in mortar then tented the work,,, never had any trouble,,, then again, some jobs done 20yrs were only seen 10yrs ago,,, i'm sure there're more products avail today w/o ca cl.

have to do my own soon - i'll still do it the same way 'cept change flashing to lead/copper from ( cheap bldr - ignorant h/o ) alum,,, i wouldda fix'd the stone, too, if i'd been there.
yesitsconcrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 06:24 AM   #5
Remodeling Contractor

Anti-hydro works fine. I have used it in winter down to 20 degrees. Just add the correct amount. We also tent the work with insulated blankets. You could also wrap the work with an electric blanket over night and you will be fine.
Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 06:43 AM   #6

and no known issues with copper? the only brand I was able to purchase was ThermoLube from quikcrete. Thanks for all of the input !
Old 01-25-2009, 07:19 AM   #7
Remodeling Contractor

I know this will effect steel, I have not heard or read any problems with copper, possible a spot test? Another way to do is use Type III cement. Cures faster. Remember you are concerned with the temp of the cement, not the air. Keep the cement above 50 degrees. Check with a infrared thermometer. Use the electric blanket and several wraps of insulation blankets to keep it warm for at least tow days. It will handle the cold after achieving 500psi strength. (50% of water is released)

Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mortar calcium chloride