Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-11-2013, 05:36 PM   #1

Share |

tuck repointing

what would it cost to tuck repoint a structure of 2500 square feet?

urchdes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 06:45 PM   #2

tuck repointing

Going to have to call some local masons to find out, way to any factors to guess.
Also please go back and add your location to your profile, just go to quick links to edit.

Old 05-12-2013, 03:58 PM   #3
Too Short? Cut it Again!

tuck repointing

We don't mean to be uncooperative or unhelpful but it would be unfair to you to quote prices without seeing the job and knowing labor rates for your area. Here is this site's position on estimates.

"How much will it cost?" Asking for price estimates here.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 08:35 PM   #4
Concrete & Masonry

tuck repointing

Likely more than you're willing to spend............
jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 10:13 PM   #5
Too Short? Cut it Again!

tuck repointing

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomama45 View Post
Likely more than you're willing to spend............
How can you draw this conclusion from the input given? The OPs question was fair. This is just not the place to get realistic, site unseen, answers.
Old 05-13-2013, 12:26 AM   #6

tuck repointing

About $17,500 for an easy to moderate job, which is $7/sq ft. Up to about 10 feet high may be cheaper than higher up. $10-$12/sq ft at the higher end. I got these amounts from a quick web search. I didn't know what tuck repointing was until today.
Dorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 02:43 PM   #7
Architect

tuck repointing

Depends on the type of brick, the condition of the mortar, how deep they need to grind, etc.

There are a lot of factors.

Be wary of contractors who suggest buttering over the existing joints, that doesn't work in most cases. Also, be sure that the new mortar installed has less or equal compressive strength than the mortar in the existing joints and the face of the brick if you are in colder (freezing) climates.
jcarlilesiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 04:10 PM   #8
Roofmaster

tuck repointing

There is a specific procedure which must be followed to tuck point properly. The mortar has to be mixed, and re-tempered to avoid shrinkage. Go to the Brick institute in VA and download the specs for pointing. It is a tedious and costly procedure to do it correctly.

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:41 PM   #9
Concrete & Masonry

tuck repointing

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
How can you draw this conclusion from the input given? The OPs question was fair. This is just not the place to get realistic, site unseen, answers.
Real easily, I spend the majority of my life working in the trades, more specifically, in a trade that revolves around the OP's inquiry. If I spent my life on the internet, I guess you could assume I was "grasping at straws"................
jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 04:28 AM   #10
Too Short? Cut it Again!

tuck repointing

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomama45 View Post
Real easily, I spend the majority of my life working in the trades, more specifically, in a trade that revolves around the OP's inquiry. If I spent my life on the internet, I guess you could assume I was "grasping at straws"................
Your business must thrive if you can separate out clients that cannot afford you from a simple question asking about how much you would charge. I found, even when insanely busy, I could not afford to take the attitude of "if you have to ask you cannot afford me!" Even though most of my clients tended not to shop around they all asked what a job was going to cost.