Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-04-2010, 07:18 AM   #1

Share |

tuck point a inside decaying chimney base

My chimney is spalling at the bottom. It runs straight through the middle of the house which is three story's high not counting the basement. I have done brick work in the past for a living.The chimney has been rapped with parsing some time in the past by someone.It cracked and that is how i discovered it. It is mainly on one side,but the other side is not too bad.The bad side is spalling up to about thirty inches. I want to tuck point it,but am not sure how much i can take out at one time without it collapsing.The rest of the chimney is like in new condition.I am sure i need to use type n mortar.Please if any one out there can give me advice on this it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.I forgot to mention I looked inside the chimney and it looks like the inner wall is in good shape. Thanks again.

Last edited by ezj001; 09-04-2010 at 07:38 AM. Reason: I forgot to mention an important factor of the question
ezj001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 10:40 AM   #2
Retired from the grind

If it is getting as bad as you are stating, it may be better to rebuild, since once you start replacing the bad brick work, you tend to open a huge can of worms.

gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 10:49 AM   #3

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074

ez -

Posting your location a little specifically would help, especially if the problem could be related to the climate and conditions.

How old it the chimney?

Tuck pointing materials must be compatible with existing materials and it is really cosmetic or for weather protection and not structural.

Dick
concretemasonry is online now   Reply With Quote