Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-15-2010, 10:52 AM   #1

Share |
Question

Tub to shower conversion...

Ok, I've done tons of research and I can't seem to get a difinitive answer on this question. Do I have to move the drain if I want to go from a Tub to a tiled shower?

Situation: I have a Tub insert I want to take out and turn into a tiled shower with a curb and sliding glass doors. Pretty standard, nothing too fancy. Of course with a tub the drain is at one end. I'd prefer to not dig up the slab to move the drain to the center. Is it feasible to just slope the shower to the existing drain? As I understand, code calls for 1/4" slope per foot, giving me 1 1/4" of slope from one end of the shower to the drain.

From people I've talked to it seems this is rarely done. Most move the drain which seems like a can of worms I'd rather not open. Any advice is greatly appreciated as this is my first project in my home I just closed on Monday
navycrossfitr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 08:38 PM   #2
remodeling pro

It is not necessary to move the physical location of the drain, although it usually is moved for the asthetics of forming a symetrical floor, as long as you can get proper slope on the floor. But you will still have to chip out a pocket in the slab big enough to install the proper style of drain hub for a tile floor. Usually the roughed in sab penetration has just been filled with tar of some sorts, but occassionally I have seen then filled with concrete or mortar.

Last edited by troubleseeker; 10-15-2010 at 08:44 PM.
troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 03:32 PM   #3

Thanks troubleseeker.
navycrossfitr is offline   Reply With Quote