Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-30-2007, 02:56 PM   #1

Share |

Tub installation blues

We just moved into a new house. The main bath has a fiberglass bathtub/whirlpool. Unfortunately, I just now realized that the deck for this is slightly <1/2" lower than the bottom edge of the flange for the tub.
The tile guy should have realized this and added another layer of plywood decking; instead, he just tiled the deck and tried to grout the difference. Needless to say, a 1/2 inch grout line is not gonna last, and it hasn't.

Any suggestions for remedies short of tearing up the tiles/
I was thinking of using vinyl "wood trim" and routing it to look like trim.

Burat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 03:48 PM   #2
Woodworker and Contractor

Tub installation blues

The tile goes down before the tub is even on the job so its not his fualt its the builder's. The tub could be set in a sand or cement base that could be removed to lower it but I bet they left that out already to get it down to only 1/2" If its a new home on trusses you can't shave them if it real wood you could remove the tub and sub floor and save 1/2" off the joist.
You could also and a trim ring in 1/2" travertine that can be cut and the edge polished. Good Luck

Kingfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 04:19 PM   #3

Tub installation blues

Actually, it is both the builder's fault and the tiler's ( and I guess if I wanted to be hard on myself, mine as well for not recognizing it):
1. the tub was put in place first BEFORE the tiling; the tiler should have realized the gap was too big, and he should have added (or called the builderto do it) another 1/2 inch of plywood to the deck. Instead, he just probably wanted to get the h@ll out of there as fsat as possible and proceeded to tile away;
2. The builder shpould have realized that the gap was way too big to be brdiged by any tile known to man!
I like your idea of using another ceramic or stone product to sort of place "trim" around the perimeter of the tub, but the kind of tile I have is very glossy - it would never accept mortar. I wonder I f I can get away w/ adhesive caulk?
Old 11-30-2007, 06:03 PM   #4

Tub installation blues

did the tile guy lay durarock or hardibacker down before the tile?
ponch37300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 06:48 PM   #5
Custom Cabinet Maker

Tub installation blues

Ponch; You got it! the 1/2" gap is a dead giveaway. It is normal to frame and ply the setup, THEN PUT 1/2 DURAROCK AND TILE. Sounds like builder bilt it right but Tileguy screwed up
skymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 12:03 AM   #6
Woodworker and Contractor

Tub installation blues

as a builder sound like a soaker tub in a reg. depth hole. There are just so many choices, in the end it is up to the contractor to make sure that everything works. If you never changed the tub size from the start it his fault, He can blame it on the tile guy if he likes but he hired the tile guy too.
Kingfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 02:52 PM   #7

Tub installation blues

As I recall , they just tiled onto the plywood for the tub deck. If that is the case, what are my options? It has been about 2 months since we closed - we will be moving in next week. Do I go to the builder and have him fix this? I'm not really keen to do the ultimate fix, which is to tear it down, put the concrete backerboard, and retile.
Old 12-01-2007, 03:38 PM   #8
Custom Cabinet Maker

Tub installation blues

Keen or not that is the ONLY WAY to fix this and you want this fixed NOW
I would be havein a real heart to heart with so called builder.
The tileman should have known better, if he didnt than he should be taken out and shot. The other side is that the builder would not allow him to do it and than BOTH should be taken out and shot Builders
Just my humble opinion
And now I know that the builders here are going to come and shoot me LOL however 20 plus years dealing with them as a group has formed this opinion. I quit working for any builder 10 yrs ago.
Be nice and fair to him, tell him to take his time just have it done by the time you get done talking to your lawyer.
Jack
Old 12-02-2007, 01:18 AM   #9

Tub installation blues

You are, of course, correct.
This is why, I do not trust anyone and why I am such a PIA when it comes to people who do work for me. Unfortunately, I completely missed this and am kicking myself for doing so.
Old 12-02-2007, 12:12 PM   #10

Tub installation blues

I had a feeling when i read add another sheet of plywood before tiling that there wasn't any backerboard under the tile. Your tile WILL crack eventually for a number of reasons. The backerboard is there for a solid even surface for the tile to be laid on. Your new house is going to be settling over the next couple of years and the tile will crack without backerboard. I would deffinitally have a talk with your contractor about this. Did you ask the contractor why the big gap? What was his response? I wouldn't have signed off with knowing about this. If you don't want to replace the floor i would ask the builder for a 10 year writtin warrenty on the tile and right in the warrenty state that if there are any cracks he will replace it. Good Luck what ever you decide but if the contractors tile guy did this kind of work i would be wondering how the quality of work is throughout the house.
Old 12-03-2007, 09:06 AM   #11

Tub installation blues

The builder will come this Fri to take a look; we'll see what he says.
All builders use subs who may or may not do a good job - we are all human, and I'm sure even good subs may do a bad job now and then. The only way to prevent this is to get good subs and trust them to do a good job - hopefully, we can verify, but as I am not a builder, sometimes, we miss things (as I did here).
I will probably tear up the deck and add backerboard and re-tile, as I agree w/ your assessment that eventually, the tiles wil crack anyway - better to do it now when the tiles are still available!.
Old 12-03-2007, 09:56 AM   #12

Tub installation blues

Glad to hear that you want to do it right. Yes we are all human and make mistakes, but that is why you paid the builder. His job is to hire quality workers and supervise and make sure things are done right, that is why he gets a paycheck. And also ANY real tile guy should know that you have to use some sort of backerboard unless they are just trying to cut corners to save time and materials. It is in no way your fault since you were paying the builder. Good Luck and hopefully he agrees and will do it right for you out of his pocket.
Old 12-03-2007, 11:18 AM   #13
Custom Cabinet Maker

Tub installation blues

BURAT : IMHO;
1. It is NOT your responsibility to insure a job is done right with a new house.
2. It is NOT your responsibility to pick and supervise subs for that builder.
3. It is NOT your responsibility to pay for these repairs
4. All these ARE THE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE BUILDER WHO GET PAID VERY WELL FOR THIS.

5. It is YOUR responsibility to inspect and be satisified,then pay for the home.
6. BEFORE You meet with this builder you get in touch with your LAWYER, inform him of entire situation, have a LETTER from him Informing the builder of the PENDING LAWSUIT IF NOT REPAIRED TO YOUR COMPLETE SATISFACTION AND YOU RETAIN THE OPTION FOR A THIRD PARTY INSPECTION PRIOR TO YOU ACCEPTING THE REPAIRS.

7. YOU DO NOT TOUCH THIS MESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If you touch this and ANYTHING HAPPENS WITHIN HIS "WARRANTY" PERIOD IT IS VOID,REPEAT VOID HE WALKS, CLEAN OUT,WITH YOUR MONEY.
N F W

Old 12-03-2007, 01:28 PM   #14

Tub installation blues

Skymaster - thank you; your points are well-taken.
Old 12-03-2007, 06:18 PM   #15
Custom Cabinet Maker

Tub installation blues

You are more than welcome. PLEASE do not misunderstand me I am trying to help you COVER YOUR BUTT I have seen this dance b4 many times, I got the damn T shirt, YOU DONT WANT IT
No matter what you may think THIS IS BUSINESS, MONEY TALKS,BS WALKS
If you touch this mess REALLY HE CAN WALK RIGHT OUT CLEAN.
Not preaching at ya
remember Lawyer than builder