Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-11-2012, 07:15 PM   #1

Share |
Question

Trying to put a permanent deck cover on a 12' off the ground deck!

I am looking into the possibility of building a deck cover on my deck that is 12' off the ground! I don't think the deck was built with the intention of ever being able to support a permanently constructed deck cover. What can I do? I thought that I would just bolt/screw? 2x 4's into the brick of the house, place a ledger along that and go from there but the deck is 21' long (along the back of house) and 14' wide and I'm not sure that what I'm thinking will be sufficient. Can I simply add more weight capacity to the deck by adding 6x6's around the existing 4x4's under the deck? I am a novice at building and definitely want to do this safely! HELP!!! Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated! Trying to stick to a budget too!
Luvsrail890

luvsrail890 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 08:07 PM   #2

Post a picture.
If it was built with 4 X 4's to hold up a deck that big and high it already was built completley wrong, post that picture so we can see what else is missing.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 10:30 AM   #3

not wise to bolt into brick or brick veneer. cannot handle the loads.

a few photos as joe said would help in getting some intelligent replies ....

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 09:16 AM   #4

Unhappy

Okay now I'm really worried about the deck!! The deck is five years old so I wonder if I can still go back to the company that built it?? Can the problem be fixed with just adding two by sixes around the 4 x 4?? I will try to attach pictures. Thanks for the feedback!
Old 09-13-2012, 09:25 AM   #5

Here are some pictures of the underside of my deck.
Attached Thumbnails
Trying to put a permanent deck cover on a 12' off the ground deck!-img_1765.jpg   Trying to put a permanent deck cover on a 12' off the ground deck!-img_1766.jpg  
Old 09-13-2012, 09:35 AM   #6

Unhappy

here are two pictures of the underside/outside of the deck...
Attached Thumbnails
Trying to put a permanent deck cover on a 12' off the ground deck!-img_1777.jpg   Trying to put a permanent deck cover on a 12' off the ground deck!-img_1778.jpg  
Old 09-13-2012, 09:54 AM   #7

I'm not seeing a whole lot done right.
The joist, and rim joist were not suppost to be attached to the side of the 4 X 4's, there were suppost to be sitting on top of them.
They should have at least used carrage bolts that were through bolted. Still not right but better then just nailing.

With 6 X 6's they could have cut into each side 1-1/2" so they would be fully supported.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 11:58 AM   #8

I agree with joe ......

Old 09-13-2012, 12:10 PM   #9

I would attach pressure treated 2x4 to the side of the 4x4 under the two horizontal members. it should run from the bottom of the horizontal member to the top of your foundation for the 4x4.

was a permit pulled for the construction of the deck?

Old 09-13-2012, 01:12 PM   #10
Civil Engineer

You did not indicate where you live, and what code (if any) the deck was designed and built to. You also did not indicate if you want the revised deck to comply with any code. I also did not quite understand what you meant by going back to the original builders, were you looking for them to repair the original deck, or did you like their work sufficiently to want to hire them to put in the cover?

As to strengthening the deck to accept the additional load of a roof, you need to start by discussing with your building inspector whether you need a permit, and if so what the basis of design will be (new code, grandfathered old code, no code, whatever). It is possible the existing deck was built in accordance with whatever code was in place at the time, it certainly does not meet IRC standards for a new deck, and many locations require compliance with IRC. As to getting an internet chat group to design improvements over the web, that is a recipe for trouble, as there is no possible way anyone on the Internet can understand how much load you are adding based on your description, or understand whether your deck can support additional load. That will require a hands on inspection, and of course input from the building inspector.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 09:11 AM   #11

Wink

I appreciate all of your guidance. I live in San Antonio Texas. Have no idea if this was a permitted job! I was talking about going back to original builders of the deck to get them to fix the deck. To code, if not done right the first time. I have an idea that I can sink 4x4's , or whatever is recommended, on all four sides of the deck and build the cover being supported by those....totally freestanding, I guess you would call it. I would also have to cut into the deck to make center posts as the deck is 21' x 14'.

Can I just call a building inspector and have them check the deck for soundness and ask their opinion on putting a roof/cover on it?

I'm just asking questions to anyone and everyone I can so that I can understand what needs to be done for safety and endurance! Thanks.
Old 09-16-2012, 09:15 AM   #12

Smile

Don't worry, daniel! I'm not trying to do this job based only on advice from this chat room! I don't see any difference in my questions vs. other questions I've seen posted here!